Step-up platforms (1 Viewer)

paddy carr

Reaction score
Hi all
I am currentlly trialing the 'Vari-step' step-up platform, and i would like to know of anybody else doing the same.

I have found that it is very time consuming, and having to drop in puncheons at every return and corner is a right f**k on.

I am currently compiling a SSOW/Method statement, for our guys to use this system, any feedback from the 'Spanner hands' much appreciated.

Hi Paddy

I'm sorry I cant comment on the userbility of the step up but the ones we are about to start using have an adjustable gallows bracket which allows them to be used on corners as well as runs.

What I dont know is by the time you have adjusted it were you just as well putting a puncheon in place anyway? or perhaps having one set just for corners might be the way.

We are purchasing our from Modular Scaffolding & Building Equipment in Sheffield if thats any help.

Cheers

Paul

Before i had the 'Vari-step' i used one of those lightweight platforms that you see 'Wood butchers' and sparkies on, no problems there on corners.

Remember the days a scaff used to Strike and erect on 1 board, pair of trainers and a baseball cap for head protection, Mitagating the consequences of a fall was the Ground.

Beaver sell a step for 70.00 , we have had these and asp steps ,120 a piece , would say the asp is the better of the 2 , but theres not a lot in it

does it hang on the handrail? top or bottom a link to it would be useful, if it hangs on the handrail could you use a board bearer & just hang it on? saves making puncheons up, when you have made the risk & method statement would it be possible to have a copy, it would be useful for me on my nebosh course thanks steve:smile1:

As I have put in other posts, how can you justifiy stepping up & down to the top handrail? You are going to f**k your knees for one & how many times are you going to twist your ankle on that double the labourer just took out of the bucket? Then get them with a lader attached!! Great spanners, waterproofs, googles, Harness & now a pair of steps in case you might jump off! Might be just the ticket to get you to jump OFF!!! What **** thought a step up was a good idea, advanced tunneling is the only way & you might still be able to pay the misses some bill money & take the girlfriend out twice a week!!

Ragscaff
I agree,however if the HSE now say the tunnelling method and traversing the length of handrail to be attached is no longer acceptable, who am i to say otherwise. That is why NASC is bringing out a new edition of SG4:05 this year.

The reason we are adopting the step-up platform is for cost, one of the other alternatives is telescopic ali advanced guardrail systems, which if you have work going on at various locations will mean several if not more sets at every location.

Another way of getting over the problem of not being allowed to 'traverse' is by erecting mini-lifts so you can attach the handrail within safe confines. This would entail twice as much kit for the same job.

At the end of the day i am a scaff, and the lads safety is paramount, above any costs incurred to the company.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Steve
The step we use hooks onto the top or bottom handrail, it has a small ladder attached for access/Egress. The problem we encountered was with the platform stabiliser, which is a drop down leg at a 45 degree angle which goes on the standard. try and picture a 'Cantilever bracket or hop-up bracket' with a 18'' square platform on the top.

When you get to a return you have to drop in a puncheon offset from the corner standard to carry the leg and give enough rom to hook on the platform.

Steve, when i finnish my method statement, and if it get's ratified by the powers that be, then i will attach it in the new Document library in the study group, that we will have within the next couple of weeks.

Paddy

Instead of the 45 degree tiepiece,i got made a 3 step ladder with an 18inch platform made with 2 hooks to slot over the top rail.To stop the legs splaying ive drilled a hole in top top of the ladder and 1 to a extra piece of steel on to platform to pop a steel pin into which locks it all together.A bit bulky but it serves its purpose..

Daz
there is one on the market like you've described m8, they have a copyright pending, theres has adjustable legs on the ladder to support the platform.

I,ve seen a couple of different versions of the step now, none of which were on a job they always seem to be in the boot of a salesmans motor. The one thing I have never really got with them is are we now expected to fit the hemps standing at the top of a feckin step ladder. There is probably an easy solution but I could never really see it working. I know it,s not a perfect plan but I was waiting to see if nasc or hse finally come out with a difinitive answer to the problem instead of all this vague crap we have all been getting fed.

The step up platforms we are using are the aluminium vari steps.
These clip onto either guardrail and have the integral steps. Cost a bit more money, but I reckon worth it for the exact reasons already stated. Works anywhere on the lift, no need to fix any extra tube.

Dave.

I am currently compiling a SSOW/Method statement, for our guys to use this system, any feedback from the 'Spanner hands' much appreciated.

You might want to read this if it helps, taken from the scaffstep user guide:

It is recommended that the operative attaches
his lanyard to the ledger at 2m height behind
him. The standard 1.8m lanyard used by many
operatives may not provide adequate protection
in a fall from ScaffStep to the boarded lift
on which it stands and it is recommended that
a suitable retractable line/inertia block be utilised,
such as the Miller TurboLite.

i watched some lyndons scaffolders using the step yesterday, it was attatched to top handrail & had 3 steps coming from it, the 2 scaffs just climbed onto the steps with their lanyards connected behind them to the ledger, the other guy was quite a bit shorter & seemed to struggle to lift out the 21', they managed but looked a strugle & lyndons have been using them for over a year, glad i'm getting off spanners:)

Step-ups

Hi m8, step ups:sad:. they do slow u down .r they safer i dont no . just started working with them. more gear 2 carry round with u. ive ask my boss 4 a frog 4 them but no joy yet:bigsmile:,. tube and fitting it works only when lifts r fully boarded,non working lifts 3boards night mare.system scaffolds again non working lifts u have 2 fully board or just step off .ankles feet knees all broke...triple handrail next

As I have put in other posts, how can you justifiy stepping up & down to the top handrail? You are going to f**k your knees for one & how many times are you going to twist your ankle on that double the labourer just took out of the bucket? Then get them with a lader attached!! Great spanners, waterproofs, googles, Harness & now a pair of steps in case you might jump off! Might be just the ticket to get you to jump OFF!!! What **** thought a step up was a good idea, advanced tunneling is the only way & you might still be able to pay the misses some bill money & take the girlfriend out twice a week!!

I know this isn't the most popular opinion on here, but I can't agree more with you ragscaff. I reckon we more than comply with every other regulation on the planet and as everyone on here knows that isn't easy, but this collective bull is a piece of nonsense. We are a midget firm working on midget jobs and with a good risk, method statement, supervision and training tunnelling should be more than robust enough to keep the guy's safe. I can't figure out how you fit the toppers off these daft wee platforms, personally I would rather be on bare steel than a tea tray when handling paddy's.

From my understanding the step up has been brought in as an option not a solution. Until SG5 comes out we can still tunnel as SG4. Advanced rails are also coming in as an option. I think the main contractor will drive what method of safety they wish you to use when scaffolding!! Then each company can price like for like. I have been told that the HSE wish to get rid of tunneling to an exposed edge i.e. 6m. If you add into your method statement & risk assesment a way of advance tunneling then it would be accepted. After all if you are seen to take the safe approach then that is what is required. Last year I was erecting a three lift job around an industrial building we were erecting all three lifts via tunneling i.e 100ft base then ladder on transom board ramp up 4 rungs second lift 80ft same with ladder & 60ft top lift. HSE inspector came on site I explained to him how we were carrying out the work by installing the hand rails first then the lifts & he was more than happy. Also we did not have harneses on. 1 due to height & 2 due to a fence errected around the parimitar so no clear fall.

But why do the main contractors dictate to us how we erect scaffold. Let us explain to you so we can get on with the job we are paid for & that we have f***ing trained for:eek::eek:

Vari Step Answers

Hi Paddy

I have done a lot of work with all of the scaffolders steps on the amrket as I work for a supply company.

The ASP/Combi safe style is possibley easier to use but does rely on you placing a full fleet widht and more worryingly all of the weight tranfer (i.e your weight + materials) is through 2 small feet directly onto a scaffold board, if the board is weak, it could break under the strain. The varitread fairs much better because it relys on either the handrail or handrail and standards for support, therefore you can work from 3 boards and there is no danger of the board breaking or moving. I think you'll find that you don't need a puncheon on the returns if you chage the configuration of the arm underneath to suit handrail application. (The arm underneath is secured by a bolt and there are 2 holes drilled into the platform support so that the arm can be adjusted to suit either handrail/hanrail & standard applicatio / tube and fitting / system).

I hope this helps.

Jules
Hi all
I am currentlly trialing the 'Vari-step' step-up platform, and i would like to know of anybody else doing the same.

I have found that it is very time consuming, and having to drop in puncheons at every return and corner is a right f**k on.

i watched some lyndons scaffolders using the step yesterday, it was attatched to top handrail & had 3 steps coming from it, the 2 scaffs just climbed onto the steps with their lanyards connected behind them to the ledger, the other guy was quite a bit shorter & seemed to struggle to lift out the 21', they managed but looked a strugle & lyndons have been using them for over a year, glad i'm getting off spanners:)

Hi Orac

The Lyndon steps are okay once you get used to them, nowhere near as bad as you think. As for the short guy struggling, he must be used to it as the handrail height from the step is only as high as the lift he's just erected.

Top Bottom