h+s courses ? (1 Viewer)

millwall

Reaction score
anyone got any pointers towards health and safety courses for advancement to supervisery or management positions.

i did my i.o.s.h then its onto my n.e.b.o.s.h but there are a few specif courses designed for supervisors just google them pal
good luck

I.O.S.H & N.E.B.O.S.H are great courses to take but are more specific to the H&S field and are in my view pretty large lumps to tackle.

In regards to going from the tools into the Management side I would suggest a CITB approved Supervisor Site Safety, S.M.S.T.S. or a more specific Contracts Supervisors course available at most of the Scaffold Training Centres around the UK

Below is a link to what Safety in Access offer as an example.

Safety&Access: The Access Industry Safety Experts: Training

As you can see they offer quite a lot.

Good Luck if thats the avenue you want to follow.

Last edited:
Milwall,

I concur with PW, the first step would be to take the Scaffolding Supervisors course which is recognized by the CITB. It's 5 days and costs around £750, but well worth it if your moving up from the spanners into Contract Supervision. So much has changed nowadays and you have to be constantly aware of all the new regulations such as BS EN1128-1, SG04, TG20:08 and so on!

If you're already at Advanced Scaffolder level, go for the Advanced Scaffolding Inspection 2 day course. Cost around £250 and it's another feather in your cap.

For a start in HSE, I would recommend you go for the NEEBOSH General Construction certificate first. If memory serves, it's about 2 weeks long and costs somewhere around £1'500.00?

Good luck mate, you're making the right move.

Phil.

Milwall,

I concur with PW, the first step would be to take the Scaffolding Supervisors course which is recognized by the CITB. It's 5 days and costs around £750, but well worth it if your moving up from the spanners into Contract Supervision. So much has changed nowadays and you have to be constantly aware of all the new regulations such as BS EN1128-1, SG04, TG20:08 and so on!

If you're already at Advanced Scaffolder level, go for the Advanced Scaffolding Inspection 2 day course. Cost around £250 and it's another feather in your cap.

For a start in HSE, I would recommend you go for the NEEBOSH General Construction certificate first. If memory serves, it's about 2 weeks long and costs somewhere around £1'500.00?

Good luck mate, you're making the right move.

Phil.
Hi i did my H&S courses through the TUC i am now Tech Iosh after doing my last 1 year course (TUC Dip in OCC H&S) it cost me nothing, however to keep my post nominals i have to carry out a CPD which costs me £ 90.00 per annum to be in IOSH, join a union and get your free courses mate.

As was posted before the SMSTS is a good thing to have, however try going down the route of ,CISRS level 4 Supervisor , not sure if it's the Black or Platininum card, if i can help you , contact me mate.

Thanks for a really interesting thread guys. I work / teach in the construction industry, but keep an eye on this site as my fella's keen to come off the spanners. Before he started scaffolding he held a very senior management position, and he's been surprised at the jobs available if you move more towards the H&S side of the industry.

Emx:p

thanks to all above posters, it is good to know there are some people out there who are serious about the industry(pw, phil, paddy). as i have said in another post, i am doing the advanced inspection in feb, estimating and tendering in march,and hopefully the supervisers course in april. a lot of out going cash, but you speculate to accumalate, and i have taken onboard the advice about being in a union, thanks once again for some quality input.

Top Bottom