Design appreciation. (1 Viewer)

Flynn Design Solutions

Reaction score
Just a question for the design engineers out there.

How good (if any) do you think the design appreciation courses are? Good level of info, value for money, usefullness etc?

I can only talk about the one run by Alwyn Richards which is in Barnsley. Its a two day course covering most aspects of scaffolding design from the basic stuff like reading a drawing through to practical examples of wind loading on walls and roofs. They also have practical examples of ground bearing pressure, effective lengths of standards (and corresponding load capacity) and beam bracing to name a few. They also do a large section on TG20:08 as well as what goes into basic calculations

You can get more info at Alwyn Richards - Temporary Works Design & Scaffolding Design - Training or you can just give them a call and chat to them about what is involved.

It is usefull for anyone involved in scaffolding who wants to know more about the design side of things and you'd probably find it a lot easier to speak with clients about scaffolding requirements with this knowledge base.

B.

Cheers

Cheers for that BMB,

Spoke to Alwyn a while ago to try and wrangle some free calcs on our board retainer, 2H were running one that seems to contain the same, Alwyn is nearer..

Like you said, gives you a better insight when dealing with more complex stuff or explaining it to people

Will give them a call.

also looking at doing the same , anyone here done the deisgn courses , neither are close to us

Costs

When I showed an interest with 2H and the course was about to run because they had places left they offered me a cheaper price... Worth a try again me thinks.:idea:

The Alwyn Richards one is a two day course and costs £395 (I think) however I know you can claim back £35 a day from the CITB grants scheme which makes it £325 for a two day course. I also now that if you book as a group you can get a discount - if there are a few people interested then maybe worth considering booking it all together?

They also do a pretty hefty set of course notes which are yours to take away and use.

Scaffy - I saw one of your scaffolds down in Hastings the other day, I now realise what u mean when you say "neither are close to us".. you don't get much further south than that!

B

bmb who you on for we do more your way then down here -- everyone keeps spottin my jobs ha ha , closer to calais then dover
know lots of mitcham lads

Id definately be interested, definately in the discount, what do they call a group?

Off work at the mo with a strained tendon in my shouder, 4 days after getting back from a broken bone in my right hand - no insurance!! Beans on toast for dinner....Tea etc. Hence the discunt hunt.

Hindsight is a sh**ter.

F&D - I think that the discount is for 3 or more but don't quote me on that, best to ring up and speak to Alwyn and he'll give u all the info you need.

Scaffy - yeah, I now see you r in London and the SE.. suppose thats a pretty big area really! I just checked out your website, looks nice, I see you work all over UK as well - not just a south coast thing then! lol

I'm a design engineer (48.3 Scaffold Design) and was down that way looking at a couple of design jobs when I saw your sign and recognised it from on here.

B.

Will check the ifo with Alwyn.

I've seen 48.3 on Twitter, were following each other. Didn't click as both my business partner and I do the Forum, Twitter etc.

When's the site going to be running?

Excellent name by the way.

ah ha see your website too , u was recommended on here other week i think
mainly london now mate , do a lot of thames water stuff

Oh... now I see! you must be the Flynn half then? I spoke to Chris about the safelinx product and he sent me an info pack on email - I'll do what I can to spread the word for you.

The website site is constructed more or less I am just finding it hard to get time to put all the material together, Its been really busy these last few months so just not had chance to sit down and finish it yet... hopefully I'll have it done within a month or so!!

Glad you like the name... its amazing how many people ask where it comes from! LOL

B.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

ah ha see your website too , u was recommended on here other week i think
mainly london now mate , do a lot of thames water stuff

Oh right... nice. The fixed contracts with Utility companies are good places to be at the moment, nice steady stream of work - I hope that stays on track for you mate.

B

We're just in the process of a re-brand on the website-nightmare. Will keep eyes peeled, docking page looks good.

And yes, I'm the Flynn part. Nick.

Top Bottom