Boiler Rats (1 Viewer)

raymondoscaff

Reaction score
Hi,
any of you worked in the 7o’s at Cottam, West Burton, high Marnham ,or any of the old Coal Stations, would like to get in touch with the “ boilers Rats”
Whitlams, SGB, Deborahs , etc?
Trying to find out if any of the lads have had any issues fro working inside Boilers etc
Plus good to catch up with Workmates

My old man was doing boilers back then and I found out an old photo a while ago with him on it.

Attachments

• Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 123
couldn't be a 100% sure that might be the infamous ferrybridge and in the middle that looks like graham barnes from Doncaster it looks like they had a movember back then aswell

Hi Ray I believe I no you but in respect of issues with the boilers I take it were talking health issues relating from black lung disease asbestos emphysema and any other related dust diseases at the moment iam researching on scarred tissue of the lungs caused by the infamous rockwool which in certain countries is banned this stuff in America is treated just like asbestos full ppe and decom areas so it makes you wonder why we. haven't followed suit.
ray I hope this thread finds you in good health just wondering about the concern all the best scc.

Hi Ray I believe I no you but in respect of issues with the boilers I take it were talking health issues relating from black lung disease asbestos emphysema and any other related dust diseases at the moment iam researching on scarred tissue of the lungs caused by the infamous rockwool which in certain countries is banned this stuff in America is treated just like asbestos full ppe and decom areas so it makes you wonder why we. haven't followed suit.
ray I hope this thread finds you in good health just wondering about the concern all the best scc.
Hi, YES got a good mate who’s done the boilers and the like, just been diagnosed with COPD( My Mate), he doing some research with otherworkmates ,as you know, no PPE then dust masks, ear plugs, harness’s, pussy’s
Who are you Steelcowboy?

no price anymore fella used to be excellent money the biggest payer being ferrybridge b that takes some gear all we used to do was send all the fittings down into the ash hopper chamber and it would fill it last time I did ferry was in the 90s remember doing them when the late great dave knight was in charge and once in the boiler you didn't come out until the shift was over and after dave did ferry did ferry with a strong bull from leeds his name was chris parrot I believe he was a good lad none of this shyte now in the early 90s took home 850s for boiler work it was great times

did a few boilers myself with capes more mid to late 90s certain money was a good bit more by then / but what ever u get paid for doing boilers is not enough should be 500 a shift and not 12 hours / the men that av spent there full working life in them **** holes should be able to retire at 50 on full pay the real men ov steel

Im with you Whap....... they are nothing other than a c..t of a job,all day working in the heat and the dust...good laugh though if you have the right lads.

ferry -skelton grange -cottam -high marnham -west burton -drax -eggborough -thorpe marsh -aberthaw
& 1 very very small boiler on (nypro) 70s -80s -90s -been there in between bouts of working other places.
coughed up ever since - only issue working in boilers sharing water bottles & end up drinking some additional suspect liquids.

Last edited:
yeh worked in all of them and skelton grange ,ferry bridge,thorp marsh ,for deborahs and palmers,the scaffs today dont know how lucky they are not to have done it,ive had no ishews and dont know anybody that has

I was getting pricework on ratcliffe 4yrs ago 360 a shift 3 days to erect it 12men.hardcore graft but loved it.

Top Bottom