An alternative to cskills (1 Viewer)

Podger

Reaction score
I have been doing a little research on the NVQs in relation to scaffolding and have found an awarding body other than cskills (NASC CITB)

http://www.accreditedqualifications.org.uk/qualification/50101456.seo.aspx

It appears that from the 1st of next month it will be possible to achieve Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Accessing Operations and Rigging (Construction) under the new QCF frame work . Basically you can be awarded NVQ 2 status based on portfolio assessment no mention of formal training ie part 1 and 2 courses .

Last edited:
nice one podger have to look into that

CISRS will not issue you with a scaffolders card unless you have sat a part1 & part 2 course and the level 2 assessment so this could be a shortcut to nowhere. Watch what you do

You can achieve the n.v.q at any time on site or through a centre, but you will not be awarded a c.i.t.b card unless you hasve carried out the training required at a c.i.t.b training centre. like they said before be careful.

You can achieve the n.v.q at any time on site or through a centre, but you will not be awarded a c.i.t.b card unless you hasve carried out the training required at a c.i.t.b training centre. like they said before be careful.

As I understand it you can not get a CISRS card without and NVQ 2 for a blue scaffolders card or NVQ 3 for a gold advanced. The NVQ is a recognized benchmark for competency across all sectors and industries in this country.

The the QVF frame work is a "back to basics" policy of the NVQ system placing more emphasis on work based training and and assessment. With training tailored to the needs of the employer and employee .

NASC CISRS/CITB would be putting themselves in very tricky situation by refusing to recognize an NVQ simply because it was awarded by another body.

I see the point but this needs more investigation at this stage but nice find.

Hi Podger,

The C.I.T.B do recognise the N.V.Q but if they awarded a card purly by an N.V.Q there would be no need for C.I.T.B scaffold training centres as the n.v.q route could be a chepaer option.

Its all about money !!!

as with most things, its about the money, unfortunately.

it seems to happen in all industry... qualifications superceded by some new one, making the old one obsolete, meaning new training required, even though you have a raft of experience.

i have some IT quals that i have now found out are not really valid anymore. means you constantly seem to have to play catch up... :mad:

oh, but the new quals are often hidden behind the idea of them being a better standard. ;)

If you paint a Black Horse with white stripes, and a White Horse with Black stripes, doesnt make them Zebras. However a awarded NVQ, irrespective of provider, is a NVQ.

However, they are after £££££££ as we all know. If you are in possession of a current CISRS card, without the NVQ, i would suggest getting in touch with OSAT, (On Site Assessment Training) regarding gaining your NVQ before 2012, when you will have to start from pt 1 again.:sick:

Regards
Paddy

does this include advanced card gained thro grandfathers rights paddy

Certainly does mate, Thats one of our main bugbears, the CISRS/NASC now are pulling all the drawstrings together at once. ECITB, Scaffold inspection, Scaffold Lecturer, T&F Cards, System cards, NVQ for all(At a large price albeit). makes me think with the new Government, are the Quango's starting to sh1te there pants or what????

Allways been a labour man all my life, Father a Coal miner, we have been there.

Never voted Tory in my life, but have this Governmentm sussed the public sector out????????

I apologise, i do not normally discuss Religion or Polotics;)

Paddy

thanks paddy.i will be coming over next week to start work.another person on the forum has offered me a job.as for tickets i have my advanced.about 20 years ago i worked for a firm in luton and most of there work was for wimpy.the only scaffold they used was jelly.its the same over here.i have done a lot of work in uk over the years with sgb mills grayston.i still think its silly to ask an older scaff to sit courses when they know what they are doing.will check out this nvq thing.still got a year on card left before renewal.if it wasnt for this forum i would still be sitting here with my thumb up my a..e.thanks to every body for imformation

OSAT
On-Site Assessment and Training
(OSAT) is the most widely available
route, offered in most trades/
occupations and by assessment
providers throughout the UK.
It involves an assessor working with
the experienced worker to build up
a portfolio of evidence to prove
their skills.
This route generally takes four or five
visits over a period of approximately
three to six months.
EWPA
The Experienced Worker Practical
Assessment (EWPA) is a faster route
available for a smaller number of
trades/occupations and open to
workers with extensive experience,
who do not need any further training.
The worker must undergo an
assessment of their practical skills,
followed by a professional discussion
with an assessor.
The assessment itself involves
spending approximately a day at
an off-site NVQ assessment centre,
producing a bank of evidence
as a result.

Extract from OSAT web site, hope this helps.

Regards
Paddy

thanks paddy.it just seems that every way you turn there is an obstacle.dont they want people to work.seems to me the system is trying to get rid of us older people...rant over

thanks paddy.it just seems that every way you turn there is an obstacle.dont they want people to work.seems to me the system is trying to get rid of us older people...rant over

Bob it seems that way, mate. However, as you identified earlier, how many guys would of known nowt, till they could not get their cards renewed. If it wasnt for this Forum, and the Knowledge posted by it's Members.

Keep the Rant going mate, it's the only way we will be heard.

i will paddy.may take me a couple of weeks to get laptop set up but i will stay on the forum.thanks for the imformation.hope with 2000 plus voices from this forum they listen.whoever they are.

Top Bottom