End to end couplers (1 Viewer)

Pat Barrett

Reaction score
I am having trouble with the various types of end to end couplers we carry. They could be SGB or Boulton clamps. No Chinese product in house.
The couplers are supplied to our customers the same way they would come from the manufacturer, NOT Lubed , because we do not want grease and oil contamination on set.
We do service clamps when they are returned, and I am finding lots of damaged threads upon inspection.
? Does anyone know of a product that applied sparingly would solve this problem.

years ago on sgb they used to hire a cement mixer throw oil in it switch it on and throw
the fittings in.how things change over the years

think that method still works fine tho , and a shovel of ballast

Some of the end to ends have to be tightened one bolt then the other then go back to the first one, retighten, and retighten the second one. We have been substituting Kee Klamp with a set screw, but what to do with 2000 end to end couplers.
? cliplube is a UK thing, where would it be available?
Overtightning is the problem for sure!

sounds like normal sleeves to me mate , clip lube and scaffeze im sure one of them would ship to you

We soak our's in scaffeeze for a couple of day's then service them in ordinary oil. We don't worry too much about contamination as I think the scaffeeze on it's own is not enough.

Cement mixer trick was normally to get the paint off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111:cry:

as reported in another thread 50% clean engine oil 50% parrafin(kerosine) mixed and sprayed. parrafin thins the oil so it soaks into the thread then evaporates off leaving it oiled

engine oil from motorcycle racers i find the best. they change there oil so often its like new. usually free as well!!!

note you are on manx ha ha , we dont get much racin over this end of town

Used motorcycle oil ! I have a couple of cans of Castrol R (the castor bean oil) that we use in the winter for bench racing. All it takes is a hotplate, and one drop of Castrol R ...The memories flood back once you get a wiff...
The answer is obviously to lube the threads with something to stop the threads galling.
Sorry for revealing my age with the Castrol "R" reference. Kawasaki Motor Canada H2R, H1R,

Top Bottom