oz

gavin of sheffield

Reaction score
hi all
im thinking of moving to oz in next couple of years with my family and would like some info on jobs and life in general.
i have my part 2 and have got around 12 years experience plus class 2 driving licence any tips would be great.........

From what I understand, Australia really is upside down when it comes to scaffolding. Over there you do a scaff course first, and then learn how to play scaffolder (something along those confusing lines). I have been told UK cards are not recognised (which is just ridiculous). Things may have changed or some one else can fill you in more accurately. I know SGB are in Brisbane, or where.. not sure now...

cant give u no info , but welcome to the forum anyway

hi all
im thinking of moving to oz in next couple of years with my family and would like some info on jobs and life in general.
i have my part 2 and have got around 12 years experience plus class 2 driving licence any tips would be great.........

I worked in Oz for a couple of years back in 99 - 00.

I'm knackered and can't be arsed to explain the gig in this email mate. But if you search my posts I posted a response to a similar thread about 6 weeks ago. Expains a few things in there.

Cheers.

From what I understand, Australia really is upside down when it comes to scaffolding. Over there you do a scaff course first, and then learn how to play scaffolder (something along those confusing lines). I have been told UK cards are not recognised (which is just ridiculous). Things may have changed or some one else can fill you in more accurately. I know SGB are in Brisbane, or where.. not sure now...

SGB are called Rafia in Oz although they don't have any connection to SGB as we know it anymore.

OZ great place mate, worked out there late eighties, UK CITB scaff cards approved then, but like many other things many changes have taken place i:e they also introduced there own NVQ system, a great deal of scaffolding is system, i personaly found that the ozies where great guys to work with and knew what they where doing, good luck mate, go now lots of work over there. you wont regret it.

Hello mate, I have had lots of years in OZ. They will only recognise Advanced CITB, in which you have to apply through the Western Australia state (Different states different rules), anyway they will issue you a Aussie card after filling in some paperwork etc and a small fee. Once you have this card you will be ok to use it across OZ but need to have the relevant Health and safety card, which is different for each state and is a small type test.
The Aussie cards are crazy to be honest, dogging, rigging and scaffolding in one card. Lots of crazy knots to learn etc, they are a funny bunch lol.
Best Companies to work for out there, Kaefer, Transfield, Cape who own PCH and lots of other companies across the states. Western Australia will give you the better jobs but worse living enviroment with Karratha etc being desert. You may struggle going over just as a scaffolder as they are not in demand and would have to be a supervisor to stand any chance of a business visa.
Good Luck

thanks mate for your help mate

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

thanks pal

Top Bottom