Big Ben 1983 (1 Viewer)

Nice one who done that scaffold ??? Deborahs ??

Big Ben

Hi

Thanks for the post Red

Sad to say I was with GKN Mills when Deborahs secured the job.

Nice one to get on the design CV, but I was only a junior in those days.

Rumour had it that Deborahs got it because they mucked the price up. Took all the erect and dismanle labour to erect, but they were saved because it went into a lot of extra hire.

All the best

Chris Eng:)

I am pretty sure they did, i have an old deberoh grayston catalog which has pictures in it .

Hi

Thanks for the post Red

Sad to say I was with GKN Mills when Deborahs secured the job.

Nice one to get on the design CV, but I was only a junior in those days.

Rumour had it that Deborahs got it because they mucked the price up. Took all the erect and dismanle labour to erect, but they were saved because it went into a lot of extra hire.

All the best

Chris Eng:)

I always thought PHD had this scaffold PHD, Scaffolding, scaffolding, London Scaffolding, Dublin Scaffolding, Dubai Scaffolding, Bahamas Scaffolding, Temporary Access maybe not

i also have that deborah grayston brochure , yep phd did victoria tower at the other end

UBM Scaffolding of Union Road, Clapham did the scaffold to the Big Ben Tower. I had the task of supervising and doing the weekly scaffold inspections when I was a greenhorn whilst the main supervisor was away on holiday back in 1984. The scaffold was designed by Victor Blood. And yes UBM did do a bit of a muck-up with the price, but the 18 months of extra Hire soon sorted that out.

UBM went on to be taken over by BET Access at the end of 1984. They also owned Grayston Scaffolding, Tasker & Booth, Stephens & Carter and then bought HAT Group with Deborah Scaffolding.

All these were amalgamated uner the name Deborah Grayston Scaffolding limited.

Last edited:
interesting - all before my time that

deborahs

Worked on Deborahs in Bristol for a couple of years and back then there was a scaffolder called Steve Purnell and was the best scaffolder i ever come across but the man had a chip on his shoulder infact a right ass but the bloke put some good work up like Salisbury cathedral and Newport gondala Bridge !!

Last edited:
UBM Scaffolding of Union Road, Clapham did the scaffold to the Big Ben Tower. I had the task of supervising and doing the weekly scaffold inspections when I was a greenhorn whilst the main supervisor was away on holiday back in 1984. The scaffold was designed by Victor Blood. And yes UBM did do a bit of a muck-up with the price, but the 18 months of extra Hire soon sorted that out.

UBM went on to be taken over by BET Access at the end of 1984. They also owned Grayston Scaffolding, Tasker & Booth, Stephens & Carter and then bought HAT Group with Deborah Scaffolding.

i worked for ubm back then remember victor blood well ubm where using big bens old yard

UBM were owned by United Builders Merchants i believe !!
There was talk that they was being relaunched a few years ago as the name was owned by Peter Lind (people that build BT Tower) dont think this came to fruition tho

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

In essence Peter Lind & Company is a firm in the old fashioned mould. It consists of a "family" of loyal committed professionals ready to attend to your building needs.
Peter Lind is associated with United Builders Merchants (UBM) Ltd., and UBM Scaffolding. This group membership complements operations and further enables a more direct control over matters such as materials procurement and scaffold access.

You've missed out Industrial Scaffolding Ltd (I.S.L)

Thanks for posting the video of Big Ben - didn't realise it was so long ago. Was working for UBM at the time and only went there a few times to do some adaptions. Trying to remember who was working there, but only one springs to mind is Les Tuck. Remember the main manager was Peter Bowden, and his supervisors Chris, Kevin Clarke and Peter Smith, but for life of me can't remember the scaffolders.

Nearly 30 years ago now - gawd doesn't time fly :(

yea then all that was left was deborahs and look what a mess they made over the yrs i was at graystons at the time good firm good money untill deborahs took the reings that BET had a lot to answer for graystons went so did steven and carters and ubm Stil thats progress or is it lol

Top Bottom