Google Earth (1 Viewer)

Rigger

Reaction score
Does any one else use the measuring function to check plan dims or customers estimated sizes

Once you have found your building, by postcode or address
click on rule graphic at top of page
a pop up box appears
select "line" tab and "metres" from the options
click on one end of building and drag line to other end click
he presto the length is shown

If you select the "Path" tab it will add up all the plan dims as many times as you click it , handy for a perimeter handrail

not found a way yet to get the height :D

Yes been using google as well. The street view is handy for working out the number of lifts.

I do use google maps, street view for estimates, you can pan up to see the overall building
great for little jobs far away, you don't waste time and money doing a site visit for little reward

yeh we use it too , but didnt realise you could have a measure up to - thank **** for google save a fortune on travel

Rigger,

Is there no end to your pearls of wisdom, I would never have thought of trying that.

Has anyone used this for estimating and totally fecked it up?

yeh but thats usually as you cant see the 10m long conservatory on the back ha

Rigger,

Is there no end to your pearls of wisdom, I would never have thought of trying that.

Has anyone used this for estimating and totally fecked it up?
I use it all the time rigger ,its very very accurate when measuring to within 1/5 a metre,street view gives you the height.

Yeah we use it all the time saves hours of travel and can price anywhere very quickly loving it.:bigsmile:

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Just a quick one bing maps does a good aerial view to see the hieght of the buiding too.

Google good for designs too

Hi All

I am always using Google Earth and Street View for jobs to help with the design.

If the photo is clear and the building is built of brick you can get some even more accurate measures on lengths and heights.

Have done a few jobs where they are straight forward and the Client is in a hurry purely from Google.

What did we do before internet, google, etc.

See following thread

Chris Eng:idea:

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Hi All

We also use Multimap and if you go on the Aerial view you can pan round places to give full 3D views even if they not on the street.

Google Earth is good for plan views and rough measures.

Street View is good for clear photographs from the street.

Multimap is best for looking at all elevations of buildings.

Technology can be a wonderful thing.

Chris Eng

:idea:

Been using Google to measure up for agaes, very handy tool.

Some areas are a bit fuzzy but you can usually get a good enough idea of what you want.

Dave.

i think its an awesome tool to use!

Whether its to show the supervisor the job if its an existing building or to get measurements yourself to quote a job!

Been using Google to measure up for agaes, very handy tool.

Some areas are a bit fuzzy but you can usually get a good enough idea of what you want.

Dave.

Yes been using google as well. The street view is handy for working out the number of lifts.

hiya mate,why dont you check the number of rings on the downpipe n that will tell you how many lifts go on cos they work out at 6ft6ins between rings!!

Be carefull pricing off of google ect sometimes old photos not showing new buildings or forests that have grown around site have been caught out a couple of times
but on the whole saved plenty of time and petrol using google and msn maps for a birds eye view of the buildings

i was on a TG20 training course recently and was told you can use google earth for getting the height above sea level for working out the max height - never done it though:confused:

Top Bottom