How did you get into scaffolding? (1 Viewer)

storm

Reaction score
I was just wonderin how you all got started into scaffolding? is it something you've done since school or did you get into it later? what would you say is the best way to get into the trade these days? Thanks

blame it on me dad

I was just wonderin how you all got started into scaffolding? is it something you've done since school or did you get into it later? what would you say is the best way to get into the trade these days? Thanks

starting working in the yard at 14 12 years later and here i am cant complain it gives me a very nice living

started in the yard at 15 , now 47 my dad is 68 doing 2/3days a week he started age 14. my brother 34 years in the game.

Me too,started in the yard at 16 was just doing it for a summer job .24 years on still at it.
You get used to getting good money quick ,then by the time you realize there are easier ways of making a few quid your in up to your eyeballs !

i hated school and my mate was an apprentice scaff so he got me in,2 weeks later he packed it in for a better paid job.i`ve still to really thank him 18 years later.

storm

I started with a local Steel Fabrication Firm and trained as a Steel Erector, when the firm went bust I started with SGB in 1972, firstly on the deck then as an improver and Finlay as a Scaffold Erector. This is my 38 th year in the game and I widi change...

You ask, What is the best way to get into the Trade.

Firstly, The best way is the direct approach, go to the Scaffolding Firms in your area and ask to speak to the Boss or Depot Manager and ask them for a start labouring, convince them that you want to be a Scaffolder more that anything else. Hopefully you will be lucky...

Secondly, go to your Local Job Centre and ask to talk with an Adviser and ask if there is any places on Training Courses available.

Thirdly, do some research on the Component Parts, get to know and identify the Scaffold Fittings, lengths of Tube, there is plenty of info on the web.

Lastly, be persistent with approaching the Scaff Firms---

Hopes this help---are you working at the moment ?...

Garry...

started on a yts scheme from school 1985 still going 2010

storm

Perhaps, some of the Form Members could provide you with basic Course
Papers, nothing to Technical, just to give you an introduction.

Is there any one out there willing to assist a Brother in need ??? ( potential Scaff )

Where are you based storm ?

Garry...

Got the tin tack from a plaster boarding firm in london,helped a mate out with the intension that i was only doing scaffing as a stop gap until another job came up..The crack was to good and before long i was getting the mighty 3 quid an hour as a labourer,that was 20 yrs ago.Happy days.

Started at 14 greasing fittings in my uncles yard. I first went onto a job at 15 and got made to chain up what seemed like 200 boards, nearly put me off , but im here still at it 15 years later. have worked on some top jobs , been to abroad a few times and earned a sh1t load of money ...... happy days

Last edited:
i was a ground worker,one friday night my brother in law a scaffolder rang me and asked if i wanted to work for cash at the weekend so i went in and really enjoyed it i earnt nearly as much in them two days as i got for a week ground working,must of impressed his boss as he offered me a labouring job,27 odd years ago that was an still going strong.cheers h

Was coming to the end of a very boring retail nightshift contract and was offered a labouring job as it finished, was a no brainer to accept. That was 3 years ago now. I've just kinda ended up here :blink:

6th March 1978
Walking by a building site after being down the dole,just paid off as a trainee warehouseman.
A Gadgy drops this spanner thing off a monkey frame of poles and planks, it falls in the clarts beside my feet. "Oi youngun hoy me spanner up or i'll kick your heed in" shouts this crazy looking gadgy. In one swift swoop i beant down, taped his spanner to a end of a 21' tube stood it up in one pinned it off on a 10' so he could reach it and passed it up to him, i started for them on the Monday, been there since. AS IF MILLS and BOON rule.

Me Father got is a start, 31 years ago, job,guys are great.scaffolding = MSD's we knackered like footballers at a early age,however we have to work on till 65.

started at 16 with my cousin in London, sad thing is I love it more than hate it. Although both emotions are present most days until we go in the pub. My cousin said to me when I was 18 ' once a scaffolder always a scaffolder' now 45 & still running round throwing tube & fittings about!!!

storm

How are you getin on with your job search M8 ?---has enybody been helpin yi oot ? with advise---pointers in the right direction ?...

Me dad phoned the house to tell my brother he'd got him a job scaffolding labouring, my brother went white as a sheet an said he was terrified of heights so my dad says put your brother on the phone. More than 20 years later i'm still glad my brother couldn't do heights.

Paddy, ain't it the truth. I'm 40 years old and have had so many broken fingers (usually courtesy of someone else not looking) broken ribs, torn muscles and so on, not to even mention the right shoulder that has no feeling through a cut nerve from someone dropping an 8ft Kwikstage batten on it

Along time ago...In a galaxy far far away....:D

Started at 16 on the sites around Nottingham with a scaffolder I met in the pub (Doesnt that sound familiar!!)...got the bug and the rest is history...

No disrepect to "The Old Uns" but "Gold Uns" but got off the spanners as soon as I could, when I looked at all my old Chargehands who to a man were top blokes they were all riddled with athritis, carpel tunnel and a whole host of carried injuries through no fault other than years of humping steel, I thought f*ck that!! so I stuck my head above the parapet at 28 and moved into the Management side of the business.

I do still miss the craic though....The f*cking stuff we used to get upto and other scaffolders that we knew was worthy of a book!!

Phil McCree...Dont you f*cking dare say a word...I'm a respectable married man dont you know!!

P.S. Oh I forgot...so are you now!! I'll keep schtum if you do!!:D

1987 year ov the storm , I became a pop up scaff helping a mate in the trade , guess it was jus one ov those things I picked up, love the game:love:

i worked has mechanic first fixed a scaff lorry offered me a job at 25 years old worked my way up through the ranks from labourer to advance to superviser now a manager for my sins been a good living for me though been in trade about 31 years now

Top Bottom