starting up on your own

offshorescaff

Reaction score
how many of the scaffs on here would start up on there own as a scaffold company?.
i started looking in to it a few months back. just get a bit of gear, a small lorry, and a bit of work just to earn a few more bucks to go towards my audi rs6 (dream car)..
jesus.....that would have set me back a few grand on its own...then all the hassle of getting £250 from some tight fisted builder for a daft front and back...not for me thats for sure...
the rs6 will have to wait im afraid:sad2:

how many of the scaffs on here would start up on there own as a scaffold company?.
i started looking in to it a few months back. just get a bit of gear, a small lorry, and a bit of work just to earn a few more bucks to go towards my audi rs6 (dream car)..
jesus.....that would have set me back a few grand on its own...then all the hassle of getting £250 from some tight fisted builder for a daft front and back...not for me thats for sure...
Stay off shore mate, you'll earn more money and you won't need that car.

Your right there mate,dog eat dog out there I spend as much time chasing my payments as I spend doing my job

Mate I started up 3 years ago best thing I have ever done. You do get the headaches every now and then but at least your getting them for your benefit and not someone elses.

rigger is right , mate if u like regular dough work for someone else
workin for ya self aint whats its cracked out to be

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

super scaff --- that must because u met me ha ha

Ha ha ha yeah true maybe you should stay with the reliable money:D

who would you be aiming that at bud ha ha - well u never ring - thought rachel was sortin ya out mate

sorry mate i was aiming it at offshorescaff she hasnt got much in at the mo ive tried getting in touch with that scaffers but no joy.

yeh i did too , have u tried who brought all cripps gear mate , pm me il sort u there number sss uk ltd or the like

I did it 10 years ago and really started at the bottom of the heap. I was working offshore on the elf-elgin hook-up and getting really bored being away from home all the time. The only way I could justify being away all the time to the Mrs was the cash. The only way I could get near it was to do it myself. Don't laugh, but the first vehicle I had was a maestro van with a purpose made heavy duty roof rack to carry the tube. The thing I forgot was the first basic rule in scaffold which is the scaffold is only as strong as it's foundation, needless to say the feckin roof collapsed.:embarrest: To be honest, 10 years on I'm still at the bottom of the heap but atleast now I have a couple of trucks, and I'm still twirling a spanner. A lot more headaches than I used to get but I don't think I could do anything else.

least ya happy mate and earning no doubt

Scaffy,

I know people can talk a right lot of keech when it comes to cash but I definately had more cash in my pocket when it was me and the old father in law, but still wouldn't change it.

quote AOM
"The thing I forgot was the first basic rule in scaffold which is the scaffold is only as strong as it's foundation, needless to say the feckin roof collapsed."

That brought back memories I had a long wheelbase transit the first time I went on my own it was the leaf springs that went one day after overloading it trying to clear a job in one go total feckup

I was not trying to put anyone off setting up on thier own just saying getting the cash in seems to be getting harder every year wish there was an open season for shooting Q.S.s the same as for grouse :smile1:

often think the same , some weeks split with the wages walk away with **** all as waitin for dough and cast me mind back to 94 when i was on de spanners ha ha

Rigger,

Broke a few leaf springs in my day as well. Happy day's eh. I could fill a thread with some of the rust buckets I've used to shift gear but now everything has to be minted, looking good for corporate logo and super serviced every feckin week, it almost takes the fun out of it.

Where did the name come from? Did you come from a rigging background or is it a family nick name. I only ask as my inlaws all carry the same nick name from so far back in the mists of time no one is quite sure where it started.

Picked it up in Camal Lairds shipyard in the early 70s, as well as scaffolding I used to work in with the riggers erecting scaffold,lifting blocks,turfers and any other contraption that helped us get an heavy engine part up or down through and along the decks to where the bloody fitters would fit it :cheesy:

Used to draw extra money for my skills :worried: scaffs had the crack with me and accussed me of being a fat arsed Rigger :D and deserting the brotherhood.The name as a lot of nick names do, stuck

hey Rob should have tried that partnership few years back ten grand each we would have done ok

scaf35 have started up scaffolding company really small any advice ie best insurance to look into cheapest place to source scaffold gear.

Try Simply Business for insurance ebay for gear. or buy second hand from generation & trad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom