long sleeves, long trousers. (1 Viewer)

doug27

Reaction score
Hi there, I work for a big national company who have a contracts division (who only pay pricework), and an industrial division.
The company has made it policy across the board that everyone has to wear either overalls or long sleeves/trousers because the refinery/power station/oil rig "scaffolders" have spat the dummy out and said "if we've got to wear all this then should'nt the pricework boys do it aswell?!"
Prior to this i thought that the reason us contracts boys didnt have to wear long sleeves (and most of the other hinderances) was because WE ACTUALLY DO SOME BLOODY WORK!!!!
But what the f##k do i know?!
I think that in exchange for us having to drown in our own sweat all day; I think that the industrial boys should all be put on pricework, with no exception.
What do you think of that boys? No more dragging out an 8 ft tower all day!!!:amazed:
Or better yet how about we do a job swap and I'll go to your power station and act all smug about managing to fit a 3 board wide tower between some pipes in a glorified dusty cupboard, as you go to a real building site and try to put up 80m of tube & fitting independant with a labourer, in your overalls!!
Rant over:evil:

If its your companies policy to have you doing pricework in ovies then have a word with your line manager , some companies like their workers in overalls just becuase it looks more proffesional , you and I know this is not the case . As for power station and oil rig workers , I did pricework for many years I now work on an oil rig , cushty .Nuff said .

What p**** me off is the HSE have never asked for more coverage i.e long trousers long sleeves its the contractors who can't be bothered to police the trades that need these rules when cutting etc.

Eye protection is something they are working against becasue in the wrong application its a hazard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:amuse:

Ragscaff

same with our company as of july 1st everyone has to wear overalls/trousers,jacket then they'll no doubt complain about us stopping to have a drink of water,try and cool off

Got to be honest boy's, I want the boy's in their overalls all the time as well.(I'm not gay or owt:love:) For a variety of reasons but mostly because I just got used to wearing them offshore and when I went back to site and street work I got fed up bringing half the crap home with me and found it easier just to whip the oavies off at the door. Also as someone who runs a tiny firm I believe it does look more professional when everyone turns up in company colours and many a customer has mentioned it, however you have to be sensible about it, the other day I was first in the squad to strip down in the baking heat as the sweat was running out my hat and any one who makes it company policy no exception has either never turned a spanner or is far too long off the tools.

The offshore boy's don't always get it easy either, many a bout of ring sting I have suffered with sweat running down the crack of my erse trying to put a poxy job up on some bucket somewhere.

Hi there, I work for a big national company who have a contracts division (who only pay pricework), and an industrial division.
The company has made it policy across the board that everyone has to wear either overalls or long sleeves/trousers because the refinery/power station/oil rig "scaffolders" have spat the dummy out and said "if we've got to wear all this then should'nt the pricework boys do it aswell?!"
Prior to this i thought that the reason us contracts boys didnt have to wear long sleeves (and most of the other hinderances) was because WE ACTUALLY DO SOME BLOODY WORK!!!!
But what the f##k do i know?!
I think that in exchange for us having to drown in our own sweat all day; I think that the industrial boys should all be put on pricework, with no exception.
What do you think of that boys? No more dragging out an 8 ft tower all day!!!:amazed:
Or better yet how about we do a job swap and I'll go to your power station and act all smug about managing to fit a 3 board wide tower between some pipes in a glorified dusty cupboard, as you go to a real building site and try to put up 80m of tube & fitting independant with a labourer, in your overalls!!
Rant over:evil:
Doug I can understand that you don't want to wear overalls but saying all that all that about industrial scaffs is just a load of b011ox mate.
I say 70 per cent of our work is price-work and not only do we work just as hard but we work in much worse conditions than you. Try working a 12 hour shift putting a birdcage inside a fooking baking hot tank wearing not only overalls and harness but kevlar sleeves , chemical suit , respirator mask and rubber gauntlets. Granted you do knock out some steel on the street I know from working in london for 3 years but to come on here winging and then slagging us off just shows that you haven't a clue

overalls in the summer fook dat , i to agree that branded clothing does look proffesional

We have had our summer up here scaffy, it was about 2.30 last thursday afternoon, very pleasant. Overalls very nearly had time to get washed.

grey company t-shirt knee length shorts & bump cap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Max you have to wear on a street job in this weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ragscaff

Everybody has their own opinions on the subject but a scaff with shorts and boots is not the prettiest sights on the street.:sick: What about hi-vis vest?

yo aom , we still have heat at this end bruv , i have to agree with ragscaff

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

yeh hi viz tshirts a must too

Glad to hear you are still enjoying the sun down there scaffy, do you want me to send down my spare sun cream, I don't think I'll be needing it.

As for the level of clothing or ppe you just have to be flexible but I don't think our next issue will include shorts.:eek:

With my legs knee length shorts are tight!!:love:

How about Viz shorts & vest !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Ragscaff

In this weather any chance of heat loss is healthy. It is a manual job after all!! :D

had blokes kicked off jobs for wearing shorts , laing o rourke job , thanks for sun cream offer chief

How sad are we!!! Nearly midnight ranting about **** that will never change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love scaffolding:D:laugh::eek:

Ragscaff

Ach, beat's watching big brother when the fitbaw is finished. If a wisnae on here I would need to talk to her.:eek:

went pub all afternoon had a snooze now cant get to sleep - sure u know that one

Decromax
Seen the pics mate of yous with all the PPE kit on, my sympathies mate.

Our lads can wear shorts, but i am not allowed to:cry:

The reason being, the 'Old wedding tackle' hangs out the bottom of mine and they are 3 quarter length ones :eek:

However, life goes on and i will have to struggle on, wearing, long pants in the summer, to protect the general public, from viewing a appendage, that John Holmes, asked for a friend request on Facebook.;)

My favourite summer look for scaffs has to be circa 1980s Dunlop Green Flash , Daisy Dukes and bandanna !

Top Bottom