Thieving Bustards (1 Viewer)

HatterScaff

Reaction score
Extract from Scunthorpe News ::sad:

Angling club hit hard by theft of scaffolding poles for wheelchair platforms

Stuart Fidling on one of the club's disabled access fishing pegs.
THIEVES have ruined a disabled anglers fishing retreat by stealing scaffolding poles used to build special wheelchair platforms.

The poles, some of which were 13ft long and worth about £60 each, were stolen from Trentside pond – a site on Black Bank Road near Messingham belonging to the Pisces Angling Club.

The club had hoped to let more disabled anglers fish by building more special pegs which improve access.

Stewart Fidling, a member of the club and a wheelchair user, said: "We're absolutely gutted. As a club we play a really active role in getting everybody involved in fishing.

"We're trying to build more pegs so disabled people can fish, and the scaffolding's not cheap."

Club members believe the thief may be known to them, as the scaffolding was stored out of sight. And the thief needed to open a combination lock on the gate, which known only to members.

It is understood the scaffolding was stolen on Wednesday, June 16.

"Where it was stored is two fields away from the road," said Mr Fidling. "They must have used a flat-bed truck to steal that amount of scaffolding."

Though the fishing club insist the disabled pegs will get built eventually, the thefts have caused extra delay.

The scaffolding poles were only bought at the start of June, so club members are disappointed.

"We hoped they'd be built by this Friday," said Mr Fidling.

"This is a real kick in the teeth for us."

The theft comes as a spate of metal thefts continues across North Lincolnshire. Les Shipp, general secretary of Pisces Angling Club, said: "They'll just sell it as scrap. It's just going to add to our costs."

He said work was being carried out through a contractor, so the platforms will get built, but work will be delayed while more scaffolding is ordered and the club will be hit harder.

There have been 822 reported metal thefts in Scunthorpe in the last three years and figures remain high across the region.

Neighbourhood Sergeant James Main said: "We would urge any members of the public seeing anything suspicious to report such incidents.

"Police continue to work with scrap metal merchants in ensuring correct policy is followed when cashing in metals.

"It's unfortunate this particular theft has been reported as it really does have serious effects on this one fishing club and the disabled individuals who are going to participate."

Theiving bunch of bams right enough, surely their will be a good samaratin that lives near by who can restore their faith in mankind. If I lived a bit closer I reckon I could send a couple of the boy's round to sort them out.

Did I read that right, £60 for a 13' tube, surely not.

yes severley over priced or gold plated .... id pay 20p a foot ha

They must be claiming insurance £60 a 13` feck me I must have gave away £millions over the years . Still hope they get their fishing platforms .

It's all gone quiet over there. No scaffs in Scunthorpe with a couple of spare 13' tube.

That's what running your own show does to you, bitter,twisted and suspicious of everybody.lol:D

true .... never insured our stock , temptation has been removed ....

we had just finished a high rise in bristol on the friday night it was 18 10' lifts fully boarded but went back on the saturday morning to start to put the debris netting on , but when we got there we seen that some thieving bugger had stolen the foot lift and 1st lift and i mean stolen all the ledgers , transoms , guardrails boards and fittings ,could not believe what we were seeing as there was a 18 lift job standing with a 13 foot first lift . When we rang the boss he thought we were taking the piss

This happens all the time in London , we put up 4 x30 on a house in blackheath on a saturday came bk on monday to do the rest and every last bit had gone.
Have also had this problem in North London to

Knock down gangs !!

Scaffy

I got to be honest i did a knock down once and once only as the gezzer i was working for refused to pay me for a good days work i had put in , anyway this went on for a bit and he still flatley refused to pay up so we went to one of his jobs and knocked it down and held his gear for ransom so to speak but he soon paid up when we had his gear , Never done it again thou as desperste times cause desperate actions .

Top Bottom