Scaffold Inspectors Course (1 Viewer)

Was told weeks ago my boss wants me to do the advanced inspection course but Ive been sort of forgetting to book it up as I cant see the point. Wouldnt mind hearing from anyone thats done it already.
Dave.

done the course a few weeks ago. was ok, but no ticket at the end of it just a certificate, is going to be a ticket course soon, they didnt tell me that when i booked my course?, have been asked to inspect scaffs already by clients,butwhere do you stand legally if you ok a job and cockup.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

just found out that you can apply for the ticket if you send in your certificate, and have done a supervisers health and safety test in the last two years

Completed the advanced course a few months ago,thought it was an absolute load of 5hite,spent 2 days surrounded by 7 office dwellers from the MOD who are now apparently ticketed to inspect advanced scaffold stuctures,they wouldnt have a clue how to an assessment of a job in reality,but a laminated certificate they all recieved states otherwise,just another money spinner..:mad:

done the course a few weeks ago. was ok, but no ticket at the end of it just a certificate, is going to be a ticket course soon, they didnt tell me that when i booked my course?, have been asked to inspect scaffs already by clients,butwhere do you stand legally if you ok a job and cockup.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

just found out that you can apply for the ticket if you send in your certificate, and have done a supervisers health and safety test in the last two years

Hi Millwall

If you read the small print. If you apply for the ticket retropectively it only lasts for 2 years, then you have to do a refresher course to get a 5 year ticket!!

I work at the National Constrution college deliveing the course any qustion ?

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

The real CISRS carded course ran for the 1st time 2 weeks ago at the National Constrution College I know this for a fact because I ran it, so if you have paid money for anything else you have been had sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The course was only developed a few weeks before that so, what the MOD is running I do not know...............

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

PS It's run by a Scaffolder not clueless office staff.

Last edited:
Hello Scicluna - Davies,

Can you give me more information about the official CISRS inspection course, or even a link that takes you to it?

A representive from safety&access nottingham presented the course,not the MOD,and the 7 others on the course were their so called safety reps..got it..

As I understand it if you have done an advanced inspection course with an "Approved Trainer" under CISRS in the past two years you can apply for the card,cost £22.50 you will also have to supply proof of a touch screen safety test or equivelent this card will be valid for two years only with further training required when you renew it for 5 years

Safety & Access are an approved trainer under CISRS

Hy Collo
sorry I missed your question "butwhere do you stand legally if you ok a job and cockup." It's an age thing or to many years scaffolding:confused:

Legally to inspect scaffold structures,You have to be "Competent"

To determin if a person is competent to do any job you can use the
acronym S.K.A.T.E.

Skill, Knowledge, Ability/attitude, Training, Experience

If you can tick all the boxes in the list above and they directly have a berring on the job in question you are competent to do it

The advanced scaffold inspection card or certificate only shows proof of a small part of the criteria required to show competence

An adv scaffolder with 20 years varied experience,would definatly tick four of the boxes 1)Skill 2)Knowledge 3)Ability 4)Experience. As to the training aspect he would have received on the job training over the years from peers and in other forms. He would be deemed competent in my opinion

A Site Manager with no practical scaffolding experience,with a two day basic inspection card and a two day advanced scaffold inspection card with a total of around 24 hours training in scaffold inspection in my opinion is not competent and his "specielist" knowledge would be torn to shreds in a court of law

To much weight is put onto the training aspect of proving competence (thats where the money is to be made) personally I look to the other four criteria Skill, Knowledge,Ability,Experience in assessing if a person is competent

Don't be afraid of signing off scaffolds if you are competent and have done all that is "reasonable and practical" in your inspection and complied with current legislation you will be able to defend any action taken against you.
There is not any job that has been erected, including my own, that a competent inspector cannot find some "fault" with or suggest a "better" way of doing it

Good luck with your growing company, work safe, work smart

My new Inspectors ticket arrived this morning whilst typing this,another card to the collection,soon have a full deck of 52

Last edited:

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

The real CISRS carded course ran for the 1st time 2 weeks ago at the National Constrution College I know this for a fact because I ran it, so if you have paid money for anything else you have been had sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The course was only developed a few weeks before that so, what the MOD is running I do not know...............

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

I got a call out of the blue from my local construction college asking if I needed any inspection training, couldn't believe my luck as you could throw a stone from my yard to theirs so booked 4 spots right away. Then citb came down for a chat on another matter and told me that the course was useless to me. I was mad, why offer a useless course? I should of looked into it deeper but sometimes you just take these people at face value, worst of the lot they still want paying because we cancelled less than 14 days before the course starts, WE NEVER BOOKED IT MORE THAN 14 DAYS BEFORE THE COURSE STARTS.

usual training centre scam then - we must be in wrong game , get at least a cancelled job every other week

So if you need to have held the basic card for 2 years before you can attend the advanced course then the advanced courses won't start for another 2 years?

Do Advanced scaffolders wishing to achieve an advanced inspectors ticket under the new scheme have to do the basic inspectors first or are they exempt as per the old scheme ?

Last edited:
Podger I think you have raised a good point here :unsure:the quote below was taken from the advice pdf on the CISRS site as regards inspection cards.In the last paragraph below it refers only to non-scaffolders,I cannot find any reference to the position of an experienced scaffolder. This one's beat me for now:sad2:

"For a 2 year period following the launch of the CISRS Scaffold Inspection Training Scheme (SITS) courses (4th May2010 - 4th May 2012) individuals who have previously attended Scaffold Inspection courses with a CISRS approvedprovider may be eligible to apply for a CISRS Inspection card.

The course must have been comparable to the NewCISRS inspection courses in content, duration and instructor requirements in order to be considered. This will onlyextend to retrospective training that was carried out within the period of 4th May 2007 - 4th May 2010.

All CISRScards issued in relation to retrospective training will only last for a 2 year period. Following that 2 year periodthe individual will be required to successfully complete the CISRS refresher course upon doing so they willbe eligible for a 5 year Inspectors card.

Those non-scaffolders who have not already attended an Advanced Scaffold Inspection course prior to 4th May 2010are required to hold the CISRS Basic Inspection Card for a minimum of 2 years prior to attending an AdvancedCourse"

I put the scaffold up on the MOD site for their safety reps to carry out the assessment,one of the MOD gaffers asked if i would like to complete the course as there was a spare place,he contacted the safety rep from the UK taking the course and told him i was an advanced scaff could i attend the course,and he said no probs.so i presume you can do either course depending on what tickets you hold.

Podger
Applied to be an instructor and told you don't need CISRS scaffold qualifications just 5 years experience its run by the NASC(CISRS)Joke!!!!!. Hope this helps

*NASC and CISRS are in agreement that CISRS Scaffolders and Advanced Scaffolders can be deemed competent to inspect scaffolds up to the grade of the CISRS card they hold. This is based upon the fact that they have had a minimum of 18 months on site scaffolding experience, between 4 -6 weeks off site training, which covers H&S awareness, legislation relevant British and European standards, industry best practice and guidance as well as practical training in the erection, dismantling and altering of scaffold structures.
CISRS will be including more practical inspection and inspection report writing into the core scheme (Part 1, Part 2 and advanced courses) which will allow scaffolders coming through the CISRS scheme the ability to apply automatically for Inspector status.
This will go live in January 2011.
Scaffolders and advanced scaffolders, who have completed their training prior to this change in the core scheme, will be deemed eligible to inspect Scaffolds up to the grade of their cards until 4th May 2012. After that date they will be required to attend a CISRS SITS refresher course should they wish to maintain their eligibility to inspect scaffolds and apply for a CISRS SITS card.
I should f***** think so too do they know how hard some of us worked for those advanced cards before CISRS was invented!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom