Screwjacks (1 Viewer)

DECROMAX

Reaction score
Just wanted to get an opinion from the engineers on here about screwjacks.
We have a 28 lift Layher tower all lifts boarded and is to be sheeted.
I queried my supervisor if the screwjacks were suitable for this load and he didnt have a clue.

Decromax

Good observation mate, the scaffold is only as strong as its weakest linkl, cant answer your Q tonight m8, (Too P1ssed) have a bash 2moz.

thought jacks had either 3 or 5 ton capacities - i could be wrong

Im no engineer but i know that all layher is certified but that is a good question thou .
I also have done many high scaffolds out of layher and have always used the standard Layher screw jack with the red tip but i do know there is a heavy duty Layher screw jack with a a blue tip and also there is a connector that you can double up the standards at the base , it looks like the letter H on its side with two wedges in it

At that height should it not have a drawing, this would then denote the loadings to the base support!!:confused:

Ragscaff

500mm screwjacks generally have a safe working load of 2.5 tons

Most screw jacks are tested to 3 tonnes point loaded , however heavy duty adjustable jacks including U heads should be 5 tonnes . If in doubt splice a tube against the standard to soul board fixed four times to the ground . I am not sure what tollarances this adds but I am quite sure the Earth itself would drop before the jack .
Apply your own common sence , it usually works . A spotty faced engineer is not always required , just my opinion , cheers .

I did not put the job up I only spotted it , As you said it is built to a drawing but I dont think it states which screw jacks to be used, the tower doesnt even have double standards :amazed: . I have built many a job off a drawing for different firms and I have to say working with dsl I think the engineer hasn't a clue when it comes to Layher and its strengths and weaknesses.
As you said I would have used blue tipped jacks with rabbits ears (thats what we call em!) It will need the base reinforcing or maybe dare I say need to be stripped a re- erected :laugh:

Its a different kettle to tube and fitting,suppose you will have to consult the manufactorers guidelines for recommended weight tolerences,the screw jacks are capable of withstanding safely,as stated earlier should of had a design drawing to work to.Extra stds need to be added for piece of mind i would suggest.

Just wanted to get an opinion from the engineers on here about screwjacks.
We have a 28 lift Layher tower all lifts boarded and is to be sheeted.
I queried my supervisor if the screwjacks were suitable for this load and he didnt have a clue.

Layher's brochure shows the admissible load on jacks, but its dependant upon the amount of adjustment, for 20cm its 38kN and 40cm, 21kN these on their standard jacks

Screw Jacks nowadays tend to be 4 tonne SWL, i only know of one decent source for them as is know they have been tested to 12 tonnes.

They also do a 6 tonne version made out of proper 50c tube which is tested to 18 tonnes, vital as i've seen people make them out of normal 5mm tube which bend and break, unlike the 50c version.

SCP in Cannock, used to be Corofil Woodall. They have done special sizes for me in the past aswell - seem to be the only people who can make jacks these days.

Top Bottom