Self employed/PAYE info

Veno

Reaction score
Finally got myself a job on the spanners (jackpot!) however, I've been self employed for the last 5 years, to I have to ring up and in inform those nice people at HMRC that I'm not self employed any more or does it just automatically get noticed?

Cheers.

You should tell them so they can send your tax code to your new employer.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

They don't notice anything, I got sent a tax bill for a company car I gave back 2 years and 3 jobs ago.

If you fill a p46 in when you start it will sort itself out if you tick the right box

Absoutly spot on markus, I've been self emp for the last 2yrs started firm last Friday on the cards think its box A and the nice ppl in the office should do the rest veno ( so I've been told ) lol

I'd still make sure your tax office knows, remember the Inland Revenue is an equal opportunities employer.

Every new employee has to have their details confirmed by HMRC we do ours via hmrc website you need to record your start date for your accountant to sort out any self employment earnings but the new place will sort everything else
and good luck in your new job

You should call HMRC to let them know you are no longer self employed, although from the sounds of it, you will still have a few weeks of this current tax year (from 6.4.13) where you were self employed, so you will still need to do a tax return NEXT year for that period.

That tax return will also include your PAYE for the year too, even though your employer will be paying your PAYE tax/ NI for you (HMRC will have a note of that on the P60 they'll get).

Your tax code on your payslip should be 944L for this current year.

If you need any advice or help, your accountant can explain it all and if you don't already have one, give us a call for some free advice.

Top Bottom