Some interesting views (1 Viewer)

Grim72,

Nice one on the link. Very interesting indeed. Begs one question though, why during any of these debates was a scaff not there to give his point of view. It gave the impression of students doing some sort of homework instead of trying to find a real world solution to a common problem. Maybe it was just the debates I watched and I did see simian risk presentation but I now know where some of the crazy ideas for our industry come from. It would fit them better to come on here and ask the guys that actually have to do the job instead of giving it to students who have never built a job in their life to toss it about.

RE : Simon Hughes Simian risk management/ NASC.

A lot of fingers in a lot of pies springs to mind, Simian,NASC,CISRS (Simian approved Training centres,CONIAC........

During Simons, Presentation, i would be very interested to know, where he received his Feedback from the 'Scaffolders' that actually condoned instead of our 'Ragscaff' Survey results that said' ARR,ARR No way.

Simon also states that most companies now use AGS ( Advanced Guardrail Systems).

Our Survey Says, ARR,ARR.

SG19: Rescue:

First Aid as normal, They cant use a 'Generic assessment for a rescue plan' as they state a PC scaffolding contrctor must include this in the SSOW/Method Statement, per job (Fair dues) then why should you have to buy their SG19, if you employ a H&S consultant such as 'Simian' ? Apologise not have to buy, (If you want too ACOP).

On SG4:05

Free to download and free booklets, Yes if you are a member of NASC, there is many a learned forum member on here, with their own Business, that have a pplied for NASC membership and been rejected, Why?????

Steve Gregory has had major shortfalls with the NASC (See his Threads) and that was to be able to pass on knowledge to our future generation of scaffs Why the closed shop attitude????????

You all know why guys

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

What again was the benefis of joining NASC ??? Please educate me

What again was the benefis of joining NASC ??? Please educate me

Well, the basic principles of the NASC or maybe what it started off as intending to be is something along the lines of any other acrediting. It shows contractors you conform to standard criteria as CHAS etc etc.
Our company has benefitted a lot from being NASC members, we have leterally secured millions of punds worth of work, purely by being a member. Dont get me wrong, in no way am I a fan...tbh, the NASC with all their recent proposals are starting to really pi55 me off and I think they need to be stopped and put back in their place. Unfortunately, with the vast sums of money the organisations stand to make out of this bureaucratic bullsh1t I think the likes of you and me (small and medium sized companys) are going to be heavily outgunned.

You know that , we have met barriers so far with Willmott Dixon and BAM for not being members and cant tender , but neither are players at this end of the coast , will look to apply again at some point.
We have in house PAYE safety officer , chas , ISO 9001/14001/18001 and a few others as well so cant be a million miles away .
Thought was still very much a closed shop !

Personally I don't have a problem with NASC . The bits that nark me are it's run by a select few. Surely if you are a member of nasc you should have the same input as anybody else. That way the feedback given by the lads who are doing the job can then be relayed back. I'm personally all for safety within the industry as the idea that everyone should go home safe is the no1 priorty in my eyes.

If NASC are not going to take peoples accounts into consideration then This must be taken as the wrong attitude/ progress to take. If that does mean a revolt by everybody then so be it.

After all NASC and CISRS have the same address and all boils down to for them is money.
It was far better when the CITB had control over training.

As in a previous statement monopolies really spring to mind and that isn't fair.

I wish we could get funding for the scaffolders confederation so we could work in conjunction with the governing bodies. The no1 rule is the guys who are doing the job and there health safety and wellbeing. There is a post on here about ECITB scaffs who have been the game for years but are now classed as non deplooms. This is totally wrong.

Last edited:
Most of the jobs we lose are usually NASC members slashing our prices

The last time we had ECITB blokes , couldnt get em on site

As far as I am aware the HSE are happy with ECITB ticketed. The NASC are not because they control the CISRS system. Thats wrong!

Even training centers have different standards.

The system needs a shake up.

As mentioned in other threads we have no respect from the NASC, the main construction companies or other trades, always the easy target.:evil:

National Access & Scaffolding Confederation. What does it mean to you.

I will invite them to my next meeting with the HSE in Birmingham in October & see what they have to offer to the table. Main topic being training:cool:

Ragscaff

IMHO, the NASC is and should be the representative body for Scaffolding works.

I believe the NASC, originally started out with the best intentions, inviting the scaffolding companies to form a amalgamation and standardisation of scaffolding structures and practices I.E. TG and SG were evolved to help with the standardisation of the process.

So what went wrong? How is there a certain criteria to be met before you are accepted ? is it Ticking all the boxes in a NASC checklist (Annual turnover, workforce numbers, CISRS training records/ construction skills training grants for CISRS). I dont know the answer, but i have a hunch why;)

Has the NASC lost sight of there original concept, as in being a true and encompassed voice of the Scaffolding industry?

Once again IMHO, i think the NASC got too big for there own boots, in too short a time, rising up the 'Ivory tower' at a rate unexpected.

We all realise that a business is a business, and funding is the key factor, however, if you are not representing the product or promoting your business, you are going to come unstuck at some time.

Nasc, Join this forum, have a spokesperson on (Just PM SF Admin) Simon Hughes as Ragscaff informed me, was interested, You might originally be in for a bit 'flak' however i think a NASC rep would be a great attribute to this site.

Regards
Paddy

Bet you get no joy with that request !

I will try & contact him next week. He was interested in setting up a section on the sight to help with H & S issues. I have not spoken with Admin as yet to progress this, still early days. :unsure:

Keep you posted!!

Ragscaff

If you have no luck with Simon Hughes, I don't mind speaking to Rick Statham and bringing the issues you have to his attention.

IMHO, the NASC is and should be the representative body for Scaffolding works.

I believe the NASC, originally started out with the best intentions, inviting the scaffolding companies to form a amalgamation and standardisation of scaffolding structures and practices I.E. TG and SG were evolved to help with the standardisation of the process.

So what went wrong? How is there a certain criteria to be met before you are accepted ? is it Ticking all the boxes in a NASC checklist (Annual turnover, workforce numbers, CISRS training records/ construction skills training grants for CISRS). I dont know the answer, but i have a hunch why;)

Has the NASC lost sight of there original concept, as in being a true and encompassed voice of the Scaffolding industry?

Once again IMHO, i think the NASC got too big for there own boots, in too short a time, rising up the 'Ivory tower' at a rate unexpected.

We all realise that a business is a business, and funding is the key factor, however, if you are not representing the product or promoting your business, you are going to come unstuck at some time.

Nasc, Join this forum, have a spokesperson on (Just PM SF Admin) Simon Hughes as Ragscaff informed me, was interested, You might originally be in for a bit 'flak' however i think a NASC rep would be a great attribute to this site.

Regards
Paddy

I will try & contact him next week. He was interested in setting up a section on the sight to help with H & S issues. I have not spoken with Admin as yet to progress this, still early days. :unsure:

Keep you posted!!

Ragscaff

If you have no luck with Simon Hughes, I don't mind speaking to Rick Statham and bringing the issues you have to his attention.

Guys, I haven't approached them yet myself, but I think it would be brilliant to have representatives from the major industry bodies on board!

Now that we have nearly 2000 members, these bodies are going to have to listen to the forum's growing voice!

SF Admin

Guys, I haven't approached them yet myself, but I think it would be brilliant to have representatives from the major industry bodies on board!

Now that we have nearly 2000 members, these bodies are going to have to listen to the forum's growing voice!

SF Admin
If they're not prepared to listen then I realy think we should hit them where it hurts ,their pockets, not join ,not renew membership, not acknowledge them as representing the scaffold industry, vote with our feet and start our own body to represent us , at the very least petition everybody on the forum and their workmates, employees managers etc and send our petition off to the NASC with our views starting with the ECITB ticket fiasco.

sounds good - think there should be 2 industry bodys anyway

Copy of letter sent to Simon Hughes.

"Morning Simon,

You spoke with me a couple of weeks ago in regards the scaffolders forum. I would like to pursue this but you have not forwarded me your details. I have contacted the HSE & they gave me this contact, I hope it is correct!!

I have now formed the SCCR Scaffolders Confederation for Consultation Rights.

We are expected to have a membership of around 1000 in the first 3 months. We will be liked via the forum & be a voice for the working man!!

Hope you can find time to get back to me .

Regards S.Quinney

Ragscaff"

Top Bottom