slung scaffolds (1 Viewer)

scaftek

Reaction score
is anybody still doing the old style slungs off wire bonds in the old cinemas theatres and bingo halls. i did quite a few of these in the early seventies, the last one i seen was by ubm in the palace theatre manchester about 1980.ps if anybody wants to know how to do one let me know and i'll probaly bore you to death with my description.

Scaftek
I have not heard that name UBM for at least ten years my first chargehand (ernie) used to work on there and he said he held the record for a hundred and two hours in one week , did UBM turn into Deborah Grayston ?. I have never actually fixed a slung before but i did labour on a gang doing one twenty odd years ago and i remember thinking when they we wrapping the wire cable that that looks complicated and then seeing them thread a tube through the cables . Good times

Me and Tufty spent a couple of Happy months of nights erecting slung scaffolds in the Watford Spring swimming pool, to change the cieling tiles,the best bit was swimming around looking for the bulldog clips we had dropped (on purpose)and helping ourselves to the food and drinks in the shop.
UBM became Grayston UBM, then Deborah Grayston, then Deborah services, I think in the mid 80's they had something to do with Grayston, white and sparrow cranes, who I think were brought out by Baldwins.

That firms had some names !
Wernt they all owned by BET who then sold the scaffold side to Initial - as in Initial Deborah Services , think they owned by Siteserv the irish outfit that owns donaghue ect , was told they have head hunted a load of new contracts guys and are going for an expansion through the south
BET (British electric traction) also tried to buy SGB back in the 80s but was dissallowed by the competition and mergers people

UBM (United builders merchants) was absorbed into Grayston , but im lead to believe there has been a relaunch of them - something to do with Peter Lind and Co the people that built the BT tower , UBM still trade in the middle east

ubm had doubles that went around anything better than a sk and i done slungs and boats with wood poles, and hang fan on wirer bonds remember them.

Heard ov a slung scaffold but never done one. Would love to have a go and learn how to

Yea you can, have to have 6 wires 3 buldog clips on each wire, 3 turns around the tube with each bond, no more than 0.75kn udl.Happy days

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Has anybody used 3 in tube or seen a radius tube ???????????

radius tube

used radius tube for amec two different radii for the guardrails on the top of the curved shutter on the river bollin culvert on manchester airport second runway

Used radius tubes round a concrete shutter, then raking shore off them.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

TG20:08 page 90, shows a diagram of a slung/suspended scaffold using Wire bonds.

Wire slung scaffolds still have their place , nearly always for painting or some kind of lightweight work, usualy needed when you have to keep the weight of the scaffold down, under bridges,roof trusses that sort of thing. The ones we built were under the trusses of a swimming pool to change the screws holding the cieling tiles in. Used radius tubes on the curved balcony at the Milton Keynes Theatre and the oval lift shaft.

I thought slung scaffolds stopped getting erected in the 80’s; last time I did one was about 78 with SGB. We always did them on night shift. The good old days

my mistake ubm got brought by stephens and carter that then got brought by bet

Scaffy, help me round this site, i dont or cant find posts i have sent or replys, i did recieve your reply by email, ref Retirement, thanks mate i totaly agree wuth you.
Bigbadbob.

click on your name bigbadbob that launches ya profile , then click on statistics and it says you have 7 posts over the last week mate , all have replies

Top Bottom