What changes would you like to see (1 Viewer)

HatterScaff

Reaction score
What changes would you like to see in the construction Industry ????

:idea:To make our Jobs safer in the future, could building designers change?:idea:

I for one would love to see new build warehouses have parapets

and timber framed houses to have tie points:mad:

What would you lads suggest ?

A ban on buildings higher than 2m , they must also be square with a perfectly level concrete base 1.5m around the perimeter.These new style buildings MUST be inhabited by fit birds who are gagging for it 24/7 ( they must also make tea and bacon sarnies on demand) The buildings are to be made of some super lightweight material so no "over the top" heavy duty loading bays or standard spacings required and perhaps we could do away with PPE in favour of , well whatever we want really ,oh yea there must be loads of these buildings everywhere and only just enough scaffolding companys to do the work. Purrrrrrfects, did I miss anything ?????????????

Scaffolds to only be inspected by Advanced scaffolders with Nebosh construction qualifications and not company safety advisors who know diddly squatt about scaffolding and wont be told.

I would love to see all the cowboys get the boot who make the job harder for us having to go back on there work and i would like to see serviced fittings all the time but most of all i would like to see the correct pay for our trade as we are all under paid for what we do

A ban on buildings higher than 2m , they must also be square with a perfectly level concrete base 1.5m around the perimeter.These new style buildings MUST be inhabited by fit birds who are gagging for it 24/7 ( they must also make tea and bacon sarnies on demand) The buildings are to be made of some super lightweight material so no "over the top" heavy duty loading bays or standard spacings required and perhaps we could do away with PPE in favour of , well whatever we want really ,oh yea there must be loads of these buildings everywhere and only just enough scaffolding companys to do the work. Purrrrrrfects, did I miss anything ?????????????

Ahhhh, if only.

What he said.:D

Hatterscaff,

I totally agree with the new builds having tie points, actually I thought it was already a law that when designing a new build you had to plan for maintainance. We just completed two four and a half storey block of flats with system and it was a nightmare arguing with the contractor all the time about ties. The only option was buttress but even then they complained about the room on site they took up. Then they wanted us to strip one elevation so they could dig up the site to put in the underground services, I felt I was being a right awkward pr**k when I refused and it was made worse when their safety man who is an ex scaff said it was ok. I have a picture of what we did when the roughcasters made a complete erse of one gable and it had to be redone, I will probably get ripped on here but at site level I get told I'm over doing it.

Here goes, tin hat time.

Hope that worked.:embarrest:

Attachments

• PICT0140.JPG
    PICT0140.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 36
  • PICT0136.JPG
    PICT0136.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 35
  • PICT0127.JPG
    PICT0127.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 36
  • PICT0131.JPG
    PICT0131.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 33
Right, what do you think? One buttress, One external ladder tower, One loading tower and two lifts plan braced. Drawing or no drawing?

Right, what do you think? One buttress, One external ladder tower, One loading tower and two lifts plan braced. Drawing or no drawing?
Hi AOM
Drawing, buttress needs calcs for dimension, loading bay has more than one loading level, also can't see a sway on the ladder tower?

Tufty,

The loading bay is boarded on multiple lifts but I should have said the hand over does state 1 lift loaded only. I really knew the buttress should be designed but the job is solid and going nowhere but I suppose that's the rules. And no sway brace on ladder tower, does these daft wee brace actually do anything to cup - lok, I've always felt they were more for decoration than actually doing a job. As I said, tin hat time.:)

Dangeruss,

I thought so too, but Tufty is right, it needs a drawing although if a scaff cant design a job like that you're as well getting that frontal lobotomy.lol

aom, its very easy to find fault with ANY scaffold, but I would be happy to work of this, and the drawing would only be for the erectors guidance or the site mangers file!

What loading have you allowed or specified on the loading bay?

From the picture I would say its insufficient as the bay is to wide between supports.
To acheive a loading capacity there should not really be any more than 1m between a load bearing point. (Dependent on the load actually specified of course)

I stand to be corrected on this though someone more knowledgable.

Reverting back to changes i would like to see.....

I would like the HSE to come down heavier on the "smaller firms".

I went past a job yesterday where there were beams over a consevatory which only went through a single set of legs, im going back past it later so will get a photo of what i mean, i think it would of been harder the way they put it up!

Wee si done it on saturday, he'd be devastated if you said anything else.:D

Top Bottom