Design drawing ? (1 Viewer)

desp

Reaction score
Question , do I need a design drawing if I'm going to put debris netting on a 3 lift high scaffold ?
Got to price a job tomorrow for a painting contractor to do some work on a council building

Question , do I need a design drawing if I'm going to put debris netting on a 3 lift high scaffold ?
Got to price a job tomorrow for a painting contractor to do some work on a council building

If you can put in ties then no (choose a table from TG20). If you cannot tie then think again!

TG20 says any scaffold more than 2' off the ground which utilises 'tube' or 'fittings' needs a design and in the small print it recommends IDH Scaffold Design (who do scaffold design by the way).

TG20 says any scaffold more than 2' off the ground which utilises 'tube' or 'fittings' needs a design and in the small print it recommends IDH Scaffold Design (who do scaffold design by the way).

2" off the ground? So its a hanger then? I bet there are a few CISRS advanced card holders who will hide in the toilets when asked to erect or strip that.

2" off the ground? So its a hanger then? I bet there are a few CISRS advanced card holders who will hide in the toilets when asked to erect or strip that.

Ahhh could be right - maybe it was hangers that needed design?? :laugh:

I would read it again but I prefer to make the rules up as I go...

Last hanger I designed looked like this:-

Wire_Hanger.jpg

I thought it was a great innovation but somebody had already beat me to it :(

Can't tie it into building , so will have to put buttress on it , really do I have to get a drawing for that ?

Jobs on a council building so your bound to have some jobs worth crawling all over it , how often would I need to put buttress's on it 70m long 3 lifts high

Desp - HSE website gives guidance on what they expect to see designed.

Construction - Scaffolding - Scaffold tower industry health & safety

I'm afraid buttressed scaffolds are on the list but again I think you need to take this with a pinch of salt and do what is reasonable. If it is low key / low risk then maybe not - if prominent and higher risk then can get sticky.

Problem with trying to get a design later is the design requirement is unlikely to match what you have built out of experience - probably no show stoppers but you know what I mean. Most design companies would then also caveat that it is an 'as-built' or 'record dwg' and not actually cover it with their PI unless you went back to it and corrected it...

Idh can you give me a ball park figure for a drawing , i'll just add it to price , if we get job I can email you photos , it's 70m x 40m 3 lifts high , not tied in an one 20ft section beamed to keep doorway open

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Forgot to say it may need to be debris netted

You can use a 6m raker at alternate standards with foot tie all fixed with doubles on unclad scaffolds up to 6 metres high.
All depends if debris netting is considered as sheeting.

Unfortunatley TG20 is more subtle than that - when it refers to 'Cladding' it means netting, sheeting, hoarding, banners or anything else that is going to act as a wind sail.

Desp - we charge £1M for dwgs - wouldn't honestly put it on here though as no matter what we state it would be too much or too little for some...would also check around for other prices as I always say to all my regulars "as much as we would want all your work it's better to have more than 1 designer on your books just in case they are too busy / can't react / too expensive ..........etc."

Idh can you give me a ball park figure for a drawing , i'll just add it to price , if we get job I can email you photos , it's 70m x 40m 3 lifts high , not tied in an one 20ft section beamed to keep doorway open

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Forgot to say it may need to be debris netted

70m x 40m is that a return? So its 110m total length? 5 boards wide?

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Unfortunatley TG20 is more subtle than that - when it refers to 'Cladding' it means netting, sheeting, hoarding, banners or anything else that is going to act as a wind sail.

Desp - we charge £1M for dwgs - wouldn't honestly put it on here though as no matter what we state it would be too much or too little for some...would also check around for other prices as I always say to all my regulars "as much as we would want all your work it's better to have more than 1 designer on your books just in case they are too busy / can't react / too expensive ..........etc."

But then its only guidance!!

1 million a drawing? Thats our starting price for an aluminium tower!!

Top Bottom