is waterproof clothing ppe? (1 Viewer)

scaffybhoy

Reaction score
is waterproof clothing classed as ppe, as my boss point blank refuses to buy us gear. i emailed the hse to ask the same question but their answer was as clear as mud. any help would be much appreciated.

are you expected to work in inclement weather? do you have a contract if so what does it say regarding the weather, if you are expected to work in inclement weather i would say its ppe that your employer should be providing.

The simple answer is yes. I used to be involved in the manufacture of waterproof outerwear (and hi-vis). You could refer your management to EN343:2003 and EN 14360:2004, at the end of the day PPE is provided to protect from hazardous conditions - if you are expected to be working in driving rain all day then you should be provided with the adequate clothing, unless of course he is prepared to let you take a break when it is raining. Naturally it does come down to risk assessment.

yes we are all expected to work in all weathers, i asked the hse if they would back us if we refused to work but they fobbed me off with the contact number for acas. so much for "if you dont have the right equipment for the job in hand then dont do it"

like the HS&E said contact acas join the union they will fight for you the HS&E wont thats not there role

working in the rain is not nice at all but to be told you have too is even worse especially if the boss will not stump up wet gear " i have never met a poor scaffold boss yet driving around in there flash cars and sitting in there big flash houses but somehow they all pleed poverty "

They are all the same mate, get intouch with acas,it is only by challenging these bosses that any improvement can be made in this game for us all,Rain is a safety issue!!

You must be all made of suger. Outside JOB expect all weathers!!:eek:

I love working in the snow!!:nuts:

Ragscaff

Snow!!!

maybe you should go and work in norway ragscaff

Top Bottom