Scaffolding Cover Sheets Keeping Residents Awake

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
NOISY" scaffolding tarpaulins around a four-storey office block are driving residents round the bend at all hours of the night.

Neighbours claimed building works to convert the former squat in Middle Lane, Crouch End, into a block of flats stalled in

May leaving an empty construction site with billowing cover sheets which make a racket in the wind.

Freelance artist Jane Wildgoose, whose home backs on to Middle Lane Mews, said: "When the wind picks up and hits the scaffolding, it sounds like a ship in full steam. I know my neighbours are being disturbed during the night and it has become a real pain.

"It's a part demolished building which has been gutted from the inside, so it's very difficult to tell what sort of state it is in and how safe it is."

Squatters were evicted from the building when developers the Kalyvides Partnership won planning permission in 2008 to turn it into a housing development.

Crouch End ward councillor David Winskill said: "Because you've got these big lumps of sheeting flapping in the wind, the noise it makes is terrifying. Neighbours have complained about this, but it seems the scaffolding company can't do anything about it because the builders are no longer on site."

Tryfon Kalyvides, partner at the Kalyvides Partnership, said the company has not had anything to do with the project since planning permission was granted two years ago, adding: "I'm not prepared to disclose any other information.

Top Bottom