Scaffolders Rescue Cat Up Tree After Fire Brigade Unable To Help (1 Viewer)

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Millie, a white, black and ginger mixture, was scared by another cat and fled over the garden fence and up the 40 ft conifer tree near her home.

Attempts were made to coax the one-year-old family pet down with food after she disappeared up the tree last Sunday evening.

Millie, a white, black and ginger mixture, was scared by another cat and fled over the garden fence and up the 40 ft conifer tree near her home.

Attempts were made to coax the one-year-old family pet down with food after she disappeared up the tree last Sunday evening.

When that failed first the RSPCA and then the fire brigade were called out but all to no avail as telephone wires hampered efforts to put up ladders.

The cat was eventually brought down to safety on Friday after her owners Donna Bracken and Simon Marsh called in a scaffolding team.

Miss Bracken, 36, said: "She's only a young cat and had only been let out of the house for a week before this happened.

"We've had her for just eight months and she's a bit new to everything.

"We only found out where she was when we heard her crying. We tried coaxing her down with food and thought she might come down herself but by Wednesday we had to call in the RSPCA.

"They basically couldn't help but phoned the fire brigade for us. They couldn't get their ladders up because of some nearby telephone wires but sprayed her with their hoses instead hoping she would come down.

"Millie just curled up into a ball and stayed there. She wouldn't budge.

"We then called in a tree surgeon who got three-quarters of the way up the tree and managed to grab Millie. But he lost his grip of her on the way down and she shot even further up the tree.

"He tried again to climb up the tree and get her but couldn't get to the top because the branches are so thin.

"On Thursday the RSPCA came out again and called the fire brigade but they said there was nothing else they could do.

"It was suggested we get a scaffolding team as a last resort. We tried one but they wouldn't turn out and then a local firm Speedy offered their services free of charge."

On Friday her partner Mr Marsh, 41, climbed the scaffolding which had been erected beside the tree to try and catch Millie.

The cat could be seen near the top of the tree and could be heard miaowing but refused to budge despite being offered a plank to walk to safety.

Mr Marsh and Miss Bracken have three children James, 15, Reece, eight, and Kai, three.

Miss Bracken, of Smithies, Barnsley said: "They play with the cat all the time. They are really missing it. Reece wouldn't go to sleep last night without her coming down."

Before climbing the scaffolding Mr Marsh, who is unemployed said: "I am not used to doing things like this. I'm a bit nervous but needs must. Millie is obviously grounded up there."

After 15 minutes up the tree he came down and Millie refused all attempts to be freed.

But at 10.15am the scaffolders decided to adopt a traditional approach and Dean Sedgwick, 41, climbed the tree by the trunk and brought a struggling Millie down with the help of family friend Scott Walshaw, 26.

Both men suffered scratches on their arms as Millie fought all the way to the ground.

Mr Sedgwick said: "As I went to grab her she moved a little bit more and I had to climb a bit more. In the end I just grabbed and got her.

"Even after six days up there she put up a fight. She's certainly feisty. I hope I've made the family happy. When I got up for work this morning I didn't think I would be doing this. The last time I climbed a tree was when I as about 16."

Miss Bracken said: "I'm over the moon. The scaffolders were absolutely brilliant. Millie's grounded for good now. She's tired and I think she may have hurt her foot but we'll take her to the vet for a check-up now. We normally don't let her out."

Source: Daily Telegraph

Top Bottom