What courses are necessary for scaffold design (1 Viewer)

John.mann

Reaction score
Hi there
I am currently a scaffolder but interested in the scaffold design. Could anyone point me in the right direction of courses I would need to take part in.
Any help would be much appreciated

Design qualifications

Hi

This is post I made previously in Italics.

You can do design without a qualification, but not sure how you would get on with PI ( Professional Indemnity ) Insurance if you are not qualified or experienced.

Unfortunately there are not many large scaffold contractors or designers who will take on training.

We tried it and the guy just left and started up and tried to take our customers.

All the best.

I am not sure there is a minimum qualification.

There are probably some designers in the UK that do not have a specific qualification in engineering, but have years of experience and have a more qualifed designer in their department.

I think you would find that most Clients would expect you to have an HNC in some form of Engineering field e.g Civil, Structural or even Mechanical, if you wanted to produce designs independently.

If you have no qualifications then you need to get on an AutoCAD course and then day release in BTEC working your way up to HNC.Afraid that may take five or six years.

You would also need to work with another designer for a couple of years to gain experience in how to deal with different types of scaffold problems, from temporary roofs, raking shores, free standing scaffolds, slung, etc in terms of doing the calculations and how to approach the problem.

Sorry this might sound a bit long winded, but much as people think it is not just tapping at a computer all day

Chris Eng:smile1:

2h does a 1 day introduction to scaffold design, which I found enlightening but its around £700 for the day:cry:

also

Alwyn Richards do similar training courses

Top Bottom