Is there anybody out there?

IDH

Reaction score
Very quiet in here last few days?

I guess no other designers are working late...erm that is charging myself out while scribing on here...:push:

Designers only really appear on here when we either

1)Kindly and politely ask for their advice on a situation

2)Challenge an/their appalling/unworkable design

Welcome comrades to the new IDH forum. To kick things off I propose a motion we set up some structure here. I vote myself Chairman, Flinty for President, Ikram for CEO, Teeside Scaffolder for MD and Unworkshy Apprentice as Primeminister. Do I have any seconders?

My next motion, as is standard practice for designers, is to make this an over-charged pay per view forum and make myself largely uncontactable and unavailable for comment.

<snip>...make this an over-charged pay per view forum and make myself largely uncontactable and unavailable for comment.

As a fellow designer looking over another designers idea, I'm now required to say "I wouldn't have done it like that".

Now I have to go and work out an appropriate fee for the above consultation L:bigsmile:L

Glad to see you're all getting the idea. Now I reckon it took you 3mins to read my post, another 3 to prepare a post, 10 mins to get it checked by another designer, download and upload speeds can be variable so lets say another 0.5 mins and then it was probably moderated on the forum.

Lets say 20 mins. Unfortunately my forum charges by the half day so we'll round that up to 4.5hrs @ £80 / hr - right you owe me £360 excl VAT.

Anyone else got anything to post?

Start by forgetting anything you know about scaffolding , then start using words like ,
" assuming " Find out how much gear your potential customers have in their yards as your design will need to try and use all of it on one job.
Dont ever ask the scaffolders for their in-put as they know nothing about it.
Try and find the latest biggest beams on the market and insist they use them , even if they dont have them , but have tonnes of other beams.
If you get into trouble with a designs calculations just throw loads of 21 foot ladder beams into it until the calculations work , they aint that heavy anyway.

If your checking someone else's work always state "the scaffold MUST be erected to the supplied design in its entireaty; any deviation from the design MUST be confirmed by the engineer" and then when someone asks for confirmation of a deviation
, a spur tube for instance, charge £250 to send an email confirming that it is adequate!

Learning how to spell engineer would be an advisable starting point.

Start by forgetting anything you know about scaffolding , then start using words like ,
" assuming " Find out how much gear your potential customers have in their yards as your design will need to try and use all of it on one job.
Dont ever ask the scaffolders for their in-put as they know nothing about it.
Try and find the latest biggest beams on the market and insist they use them , even if they dont have them , but have tonnes of other beams.
If you get into trouble with a designs calculations just throw loads of 21 foot ladder beams into it until the calculations work , they aint that heavy anyway.

thats about £450 worth of design advise you've just given away there.

Philliosmaximus - takes me ages to train my guys to get to that level - when can you start? You're a natural!

As a fellow designer looking over another designers idea, I'm now required to say "I wouldn't have done it like that".

Nice to see designers and scaffolders have one thing in common with the "I wouldn't have done it/braced it like that" line!

I humbly accept the role IDH.

Top Bottom