which way ? (1 Viewer)

paul

Reaction score
Been having a difference of opinon with another chargehand i am working with on this hanger we are doing and the reason is because he wants to put his doubles upside down on the top of the droppers that connect to the ledger and i know they go the other way (the right way) . I ask him to give me a good reason why he thinks they go upside down and he comes up with thats what he has seen others do . What do you guys think and why you think that

Last edited:
i cant see it matters the ledger on top and at the bottom of the droppers stringing them together axes as the check fitting or slipper

If you always put your check fittings, gate to gate, you won't go far wrong...

Some scaffs believe that if you have the double upside down with the bolt at the bottom that if the double was to fail on the ledger then the cup part of the double will stop the standard from dropping any further but myself i think this a load of old rubbish because if the double was the right way there is not much chance of any failure as the bolt can not be hit out of the gate .

It doesn't matter , Although a check fitting should have 2 points of contact with the other. I have seen many scaffs put checks on with one point of contact.

It doesn't matter , Although a check fitting should have 2 points of contact with the other. I have seen many scaffs put checks on with one point of contact.

I was told of a old mills man and an enginneer when using mills doubles on say a loading bay (where the weight is going down ) you should always leave a matchstick gap between the double & the checker as the mills is designed to rotate and "bite" into the upright then it's transferd to the checker .
As for normal doubs I am guessing they are tested both ways ( worst case ) so it's whatever takes you fancy :)

The reason why we put doubles upside down on Droppers and Puncheons is because its easier and once youve unwrapped the fitting and its hanging in the gate its a straight lift out.

The reason why we put doubles upside down on Droppers and Puncheons is because its easier and once youve unwrapped the fitting and its hanging in the gate its a straight lift out.[/quot

Last edited:
any which way but loose lolooo ( soz couldni resist it )

I prefer to put the dropper to ledger double up side down with the check up side down also and with the bolt nipped inside the gate directly on top of the drop tube gate. This provision stops the drop tube gate from opening if down ward impacts dislodge the bolt. Im not saying its right or wrong Im just saying thats the way I was tought.

Just as a matter of interest, how many of use use a B&P and butt when we check when we erect with Set !---given that a B&P has the same slip Test wither the band it is used on the vertical or horazontal, is a butt absolutly nessecary ?---I prefer to use a Butt with the B&P, looks better.

We all know a double has the same load bearing qualities no matter what way up it is . In my experience ( 26 years now ) putting the double on upside down to attach to a stringer is the easier manual handling option , especially when using 21s .Also if alterations are needed it is a lot easier to move a droper with the gate taking the weight on the tube .
I would not be impressed if I had to dismantle a hanger with the load bearing doubles nut up . Just my opinion guys , cheers .

I have always thought that the reason that the double is upside down is because of the force is on the gate and not the bolt.

In my opinion using the double upside down makes it easier to position the dropper, it also gives a visual indicator that it is a dropper which is not always obvious in complex structures.

I remember a lad (about 20 years ago) loosening off a puncheon because he thought it went down to the ground because the double was the right way up, he ended up getting impaled on a metal fence as he tried to catch it and fell off the platform.

If you come to work in the UK Paul I would advise you to have the gate of a load bearing fitting taking the weight or it will be raised eyebrows all round and much whispering behind hands , I am not having a go here just a little bit of advice and New Zealand fecked my footy coupon , cheers .

Upside down for me lads. Just the way I was taught easier and the weight is on the gate

its a hell of a lot easier to strip with the double upside down and also the way we have always worked is an upside down double means its not a standard .eg - puncheon / dropper / raker . the upside down double makes you stop and think . an independent could be hung in certain sections so if the doubles the right way up and your in a hurry or on a price it could easily be dropped . i would be seriously pissed off if i had to strip a hanger with twenties as droppers and the double was the right way up

In my opinion using the double upside down makes it easier to position the dropper, it also gives a visual indicator that it is a dropper which is not always obvious in complex structures.

I remember a lad (about 20 years ago) loosening off a puncheon because he thought it went down to the ground because the double was the right way up, he ended up getting impaled on a metal fence as he tried to catch it and fell off the platform.

Totally agree Tony

Top Bottom