Snow Load on Roofs (1 Viewer)

IDH

Reaction score
Guess we'll see if the snow design loads are realistic or not...

I know a very big roof Nr Sevenoaks where they have adopted snow management because teh thing wouldn't work otherwise. I'm guessing they haven't given it a seconds thought since erecting it in the middle of summer.

I think snow loads are realistic IDH. From memory snow is around 2.0 - 2.5 kN/cu.m. The snow we had today would give a load of around 0.3 - 0.4 kN/sq.m so typically correct for the areas with the snow.

Whether or not snow "management" system is a realistic, sensible or workable solution is another debate. My opinion is that any management system can be showed to be significantly flawed.

I can remember years ago when they panicked so much they put spaceheaters poiting upwards to melt it fron the inside lol as no one would go on top cos it was like a ski jump ramp

We got 3 designed roof up IDH ad guess what i dot give a f*** because its down to them ;)

Good point and well made:push:

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

I think you guys are up in the midlands?? Our loads are typically 0.28 for London - irrespective of that its more important the beam chords are attached to both standards t&b so as to generate hogging and counter the sag!

I wager i have done more roofs the you have designed IDH , and i would have no worry's with an un-designed roof i have erected with regards to snow loading ,
sorry it frustrates me sometimes that every thing has to be designed these days :sad:

No - not Ian - don't know him. I would think the requirement for design came in due to statistically high incidences of failures and accidents. HSE are not on the whole punitive - but by implementing a design requirement although not demonstrable has almost certainly has saved lives over the years.

Besides keeps me in a life I have become accustomed to - holidays, villa, fast car - why change that!

:nuts::nuts::nuts:Only way I know!!!

Pompous - prick ?? How rude.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

While we're on it - I know a lot of scaffs in London who earn more than me! All a bit of a misconception what we earn - don't forget the ones earning good money are probably the ones who own their companies and have put it on the line in the first instance. Good luck to them!

Top Bottom