Step up device

S

steve gregory

Ok we all know that this was designed and was brought into force by a person from Lyndons who is also on the nasc board but having tried it... whats your opinions on this .... lets see what you all think when ive yet to see 1 that meets the minimum working platform width.... surely this is bigger hazard.........

HELLO SAFETY MEN WAKE UP YOU MUPPETS...........

Totally agree with you and Im sure 99.9% of the members on here will to that they are a major hazzard, but having said that, they are the beter option than advanced guardrail systems, both cost wise and overall practicallity.

I personally think there are several hazards involving step ups.
I was going to start listing them but just cant be arsed...the list is too long.

This subject along with all the other ***** is starting to get me down a bit trying to organise a days work for the blokes....I feel the pub calling.

Dave.

I have to admit I have never used one............not wanted to either!

I have always found plenty of Step Up Devices close to hand if I need one: A Double or Clip attached to the Standard......a Butt, maybe.......but seeing as we are expected to work to SG4.05 now we probably have a Single Handrail running the length of the Lift already.....

...........so, as most Lifts we erect these days are usually 6'6" it's quite easy to jump up on your Handrail, reach up and fix Doubles to whatever Standards you have there ready for the next Lift.......should be at least every other one if you have Staggered correctly..........and the Doubles you fix should be a reasonable height for your next Safety Handrail......

From there it's plain sailing: Slide a Long Un up over the Trannies you have already fixed...........jump up on the Handrail (preferably with your mate the other end)...........and slap it into the Doubles you have already fixed above. That gives you a start when you climb to the next Lift......and then you continue sliding tubes into the Doubles you have already fixed as you work your way along........Bob's Your Uncle......;)

I have to admit I have never used one............not wanted to either!

I have always found plenty of Step Up Devices close to hand if I need one: A Double or Clip attached to the Standard......a Butt, maybe.......but seeing as we are expected to work to SG4.05 now we probably have a Single Handrail running the length of the Lift already.....

...........so, as most Lifts we erect these days are usually 6'6" it's quite easy to jump up on your Handrail, reach up and fix Doubles to whatever Standards you have there ready for the next Lift.......should be at least every other one if you have Staggered correctly..........and the Doubles you fix should be a reasonable height for your next Safety Handrail......

From there it's plain sailing: Slide a Long Un up over the Trannies you have already fixed...........jump up on the Handrail (preferably with your mate the other end)...........and slap it into the Doubles you have already fixed above. That gives you a start when you climb to the next Lift......and then you continue sliding tubes into the Doubles you have already fixed as you work your way along........Bob's Your Uncle......;)

Charlie mate
if only they would let you do that mate, "Hop up onto your handrail" lol.:D

If you are erecting a four board run at the area you want to install your first rail slide up your first two boards hence reducing the gap between ledger & board then stand on your top handrail clip to the ledger install the double & lift in the rail. Write that in a method statement & you can do it. Or as in my report on advanced rails from the position of the ladder access point do the same but from the ladder. This method was shown to the HSE at the meeting & is fine. You can work off ladders if the process is controlled & you have a method statement covering the process. No need to spend a lot of money on advanced rails!! This method will be in SG4 2010. Once this rail is in place you can access that boarded section & slide it round the job fixing in the permanent handrail only clipping on when you progress the rail on a return.

Ragscaff

Ragscaff,

I understand what you say as being acceptable to the hse, but if anything was to happen using any other method we will get screwed over it. Why do they not just simplify things and spell it out. If an accident occurs using the step you will be using best practice and won't suffer as much as a consequence. I feel it will be legislation through the back door and as usual the main contractor will demand it on their sites as a minimum and we will have to get feckin used to it. I hope I'm talking sh**e but I doubt it.

The method of sliding the rail around the job as advanced tunneling is in the new guideline SG4 2010. To raise that first rail to cover your arse use the step up. Thats the only time you have to each lift. Yes some sites will argue when standing on the top rail but the ladder gap is the next best thing.

I have & will continue to ask for an idiots guide to what we can do & what we can't. Straight talk is what we ask for so we can stop battling with the site agent who thinks he knows it all.

For the main points in regards to the removal of traversing to the open edge, needing a ticket to touch the scaffold with a spanner & it being illegal if you don't should be on a poster campaign along the lines of don't walk by!!

All we want is backing to do our job.:evil:

Regards Ragscaff

Fair play Ragscaff, good luck with that one, can't be easy running your own firm and trying to get somewhere with that lot.

Ok we all know that this was designed and was brought into force by a person from Lyndons who is also on the nasc board but having tried it... whats your opinions on this .... lets see what you all think when ive yet to see 1 that meets the minimum working platform width.... surely this is bigger hazard.........

Why does it matter that the person from lyndon is on the nasc board ?
In my opinion the mark 2 step is by far the best option having used most other options ,the only problem i see with them is if you are a small man erecting a 2m lift then to reach above the lift and install the permanent handrail is a struggle .i don't have this problem !!!!!

Steve

I'm with redviking on this one, the new steps with the ladder section are the best option i've come across. Although redviking if he's stretching to reach the handrail from the step, he must be used to it because it's the same height as the lift he's just put in.

As for working platform widths these are for (as the name suggests) working platforms. The step ups would fall into the same realms as steps and ladders, so down to risk assesment the work from the step is both light duty and short duration.

I know plenty on here disagree, but I don't think they're unsafe at all, and are a good all round solution to comply with the regs.

Steve

I'm with redviking on this one, the new steps with the ladder section are the best option i've come across. Although redviking if he's stretching to reach the handrail from the step, he must be used to it because it's the same height as the lift he's just put in.

As for working platform widths these are for (as the name suggests) working platforms. The step ups would fall into the same realms as steps and ladders, so down to risk assesment the work from the step is both light duty and short duration.

I know plenty on here disagree, but I don't think they're unsafe at all, and are a good all round solution to comply with the regs.

collo it's not the same as the lift ,the step is more or less level with the handrail so if you have a 2m lift then the centres from handrail lift to lift are 2m aswell but when we erect the lift you have the tranny on the ledger then the board it's only 4 inches but it makes a big differance ;-)
and nice picture in the SHEQ news :)
RV

collo it's not the same as the lift ,the step is more or less level with the handrail so if you have a 2m lift then the centres from handrail lift to lift are 2m aswell but when we erect the lift you have the tranny on the ledger then the board it's only 4 inches but it makes a big differance ;-)
and nice picture in the SHEQ news :)
RV

??

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 43
these step up devices wouldnt work on the seven sisters flats we did some time ago,as the lifts were ten foot ,we had to put the hand rails in,then put three board hop ups on the handrail,put a two board run on them,then run the lift in,you had no chance of using them,most of us were under six foot tall.them there pen pushers dont know diddley about our job.they should leave it to us proffesionals.:cool:

these step up devices wouldnt work on the seven sisters flats we did some time ago,as the lifts were ten foot ,we had to put the hand rails in,then put three board hop ups on the handrail,put a two board run on them,then run the lift in,you had no chance of using them,most of us were under six foot tall.them there pen pushers dont know diddley about our job.they should leave it to us proffesionals.:cool:

The safety department @ lyndons heavily involved a number of scaffolders when the mark 1 and mark 2 steps were being designed and tested like most new things at lyndon they say " it's you that's gonna use 'em what do ya think"?. The lads that were under 6' was it geoff and paddy aka gap scaffolding ?when SGB did them

I hope you had a design engineer approve the 10ft lifts has the maximum lift height is 2.7m:D.
With SG4:10 to be released in November I have been speaking with a number of scaffold companies who agree that the step up is by far the best system on the market. Personally I think there are a few issues that will need to be ironed out, such as being as this is in effect a step ladder are there going to be time limits on how long you can work off it and if so the CITB say you can work off steps for 15 minutes and the HSE say 30 minutes.

yes it was a desighned scaffold.and quite a while ago.before all the crap came in.:(for gkn.

yes it was a desighned scaffold.and quite a while ago.before all the crap came in.:(for gkn.

I hope you had a design engineer approve the 10ft lifts has the maximum lift height is 2.7m:D.
With SG4:10 to be released in November I have been speaking with a number of scaffold companies who agree that the step up is by far the best system on the market. Personally I think there are a few issues that will need to be ironed out, such as being as this is in effect a step ladder are there going to be time limits on how long you can work off it and if so the CITB say you can work off steps for 15 minutes and the HSE say 30 minutes.

15-30 mins let's say 20 mins as a medium ?
If your taking longer than this to go 3 steps put a double ( or even 2) then fix your PERMENENT hand rail between 2 men then your better of collecting trolleys for tesco !!!

Redviking,

You are not on the step for long, but you are up and down it all day. In any other walk of life any employer instructing an employee to work of a step ladder all day for even a short duration would be prosecuted for failing to provide the correct work equipment in the event of an accident.

Top Bottom