Lorry,hiab ,dropbed ??? (1 Viewer)

RedViking

Reaction score
What do you prefer ? hiab , trailer's with or without the racks on them ,multilift dropbeds or to work of a small ridgid (7 tonne)

7.5 toners with rackes are the norm but biger the job the more gear youll need soo artick with racking i like it if we have a hiab with steel pallet system fitting bins and a forklift on site

I have used all the systems:-
Hookloader - Cant get enough weight on unless 8 wheeler which causes problems with getting on jobs
Cable lift - Grief unless loaded correctly , only good on a 6 wheeler

We find artics our best solution , currently running one unit with crane and 4 trailers , only need one driver :) no tacho issues and gives flexibility , all the gear at this end is banded or in stilletts when sent out and can be craned off if need be.
We also run one 7.5 ton and 2 transits , can keep 25 blokes fed with this combination :)

Have a 6 wheeler with 14 ton crane for sale if anyone interested:idea:

Stick a picture up scaffy I might be interested. Work is a bit slow at the moment but might change for the right vehicle.

We currently run a 18t 4 wheeler for the bigger jobs and a 7.5t truck for the smaller jobs when access is a problem. The 18t truck is a demount with two trailers which I have had for about 5 years now before hse had a bee in his bonnet about working of trailers. I have been thinking of changing either to a hiab or a moffat mounted fork lift for a while but with the uncertainty around at the moment it has been holding me back. I will watch this thread with interest for any ideas.

ok will do ,
Iveco Eurotech Cursor 270 (6 wheel rear lift axle) 28ft flat , 14 ton Palfinger crane goes out 10m (new loler)
Truck and crane both 2001
Taxed and tested and in good order , looking for bout £6500 +VAT

Have used demounts (donkeys) previousley , hard to source the bodys tho !:amazed:

Also have 54 plate Euro cargo 7.5ton looking to shift too , going back over to MAN and Mercs

XXXX Note looked at moffets but makes a long truck with a big overhang , then also you will need CITB training for the driver and something else to maintain and LOLER !!!!! , one on ebay at mo up your way on a merc for bout 12k have a look

as requested

Attachments

• Scaffolding Erectors - Total Service Group_1275552849729.jpg
    Scaffolding Erectors - Total Service Group_1275552849729.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 58
I know what you mean about the moffat, it's not east trying to find the perfect solution. I suppose you just have to pick one and make the best of it.

Personally I know very little about trucks, but the fitter I use is brilliant even if a little expensive and he keeps me right when deciding on what or not to buy. Thanks for putting the picture up but I can tell you he wont like me getting an Iveco. Don't know if it's the price of parts or he just doesn't like working on them. The crane looks the dogs though and some time in the near future I,m gonna have to invest.

AOM
We both know the easiest solution is to the let the supplier deliver the goods and collect them ha ha
Scaffolders and trucks dont mix as im sure you well know !
Iveco are cheap on parts , most mechanics dont rate them , but then an Iveco is allways cheaper to buy then a Merc or Daf , we have run Ivecos for years never really had any problems with them.
The crane solution is a good one , gets rid of a lot of manual handling and you need only send one guy out on the wagon
Good luck mate :)

Think the best set up ive seen is by Benchmark an multilift lorry that also has a mounted hiab.. totally excellent for all needs concerned.

Yeh only problem with that is you cant really get more than a 22ft long body , on a 4 wheeler it will only give you 6 ton payload on a 6 wheeler a 12 ton payload !!!

Myself i prefer a racked back to a truck as i seen a hiab truck go over becasue the ass operating it had two ton of 21's extended to far out and was on soft ground and the whole truck went over onto its side (what a mess)

I prefer roll off multilift beds any time, gear at your feet, with the added bonus of not having to explain to the main contractor why your lads are up on the lorry without any edge protection!!!!

Nice one Collo, you are the first man I have spoken to who has actually used this system, there is one thing that has always worried me about the roll off is what happens to the load when you are tipping and do you use the same restraints for a partially loaded trailor.

aom

You have to use the cable-lift type not the hook-loaders that you see on skip lorries (these pull the bed on at too steep an angle). Just strap the load up as you normally would, tail board on the back and drag him on, no problems. They don't pull the load on as steeply as you would think mate!!

It's one of these things when you are faced with so much choice you don't know what to do right. I suppose it depends what type of work and where you do the most that dictates what works best. Still not exactly sure what that is though.:D

oh please m8 u eva been on a big job ???

What do you prefer ? hiab , trailer's with or without the racks on them ,multilift dropbeds or to work of a small ridgid (7 tonne)

YOU CAN ONLY GET SO MUCH (like half a semi ) on a 7;5 ton lorry personally dont worry me if im having a 40t trailer dopped off every other or im out in a truck dude ..... what we need to do is get the rest of the construction community to recognise the part we play into the big picture ......

Cable lifts are ok , but you cant get the weight on , we had 8 wheel hookloader with 22ft plant flats with rear tailgates this was ok , but aom is right about the angle of desent dont look to clever
Just having artic fitted with a crane thats the ideal , have 6 ex sgb trailers multi purpose can either crane off on site or drop trailers xxx

Cable lifts are ok , but you cant get the weight on , we had 8 wheel hookloader with 22ft plant flats with rear tailgates this was ok , but aom is right about the angle of desent dont look to clever
Just having artic fitted with a crane thats the ideal , have 6 ex sgb trailers multi purpose can either crane off on site or drop trailers xxx

Scaffy,

The artic is going to struggle on a lot of the smaller sites we deal with, I take it you are on bigger sites all the time. To get the same results as you I suppose I would need a rigid with hi-ab and a demount system.

Only run 24ft artic trailers , can get them in most places that a rigid goes in , if not more ,we do a mix of everything aom

Top Bottom