Standard Spacings (1 Viewer)

mart62

Reaction score
I just worked on a labour only job and we had to erect uprights at 1.5 metre centres for a traditional brick and block new build.

Surely this is not right. Has the scaffolding world gone mad ?

Hi Mart
According to TG20:08 Page 21

Table 1 Load classes for access and working platforms Tube & Fitting.

3-5-0
3-4-1
3-4-2

The Maximun bay length is 2.1m

We normally erect at 1.8 centres

3= General purpose
secondary number = amount of boards on platform
Final number= Inside boards

Hope this helps, however, did they give you a reason for the spacings?

Regards
Paddy

Hi paddy

Thanks for the reply

No explanation was given just that because of hassle on some of their sites they have decided that company policy was to erect at 1.5 metre centres.

Just something else to slow us down really

regards

Martin

Mart

Would it not be possible for you to play them at their own game, and state TG20:08 and show them the table, might shut the feckers up, when they realise we are not a bunch of Numptys, and are highly trained (Excuse the pun) tradesmen.

Doing some quick calculations!

On a 100m run at 2m spacings you will put 50 set of legs in, at 1.8m spacings your talking about 55 sets of legs, approximately?

Ive noticed a few times now when quoting jobs that there asking for 1.8m or less standard spacings, i dont think its necessary for them though!

Swinny46

I can see where you are coming from---more Materials + Erecting Time = Higher Quote for the Client, moreover, if the Scaffs are on a price more Materials = More Erecting Time = Lower Price for the Scaffs.

Best to go with TG Spec on Price Jobs...;)

Never been bothered with the amount of standards to put in because if its needed then they are going in regardless . We did a walk way for a fun run and the standards were at 500 centres because of the bounce as the runners run

Seems they wanted stds placing as if the structure was for a heavy duty scaffold.Hope there were loading bays erected to take the majority of the weight before it was distributed evenly along the scaffold seems a bit ott for a new build to me..

Yes we erected 3 loading bays and I agree seems very odd. I didnt ask too many questions just got on with it really.

Came across the same situation a couple of years back on a new build housing development , I did ask questions and a Whizz Kid agent fresh from college informed me they were the spacings as per the spec in our companies quotation.

I found this unusual as our company had done lots of work for this client and this was first time I had come across this, so I asked for a look at the spec, which stated a general purpose scaffold with 1.5m LIFTS for bricklayers :nuts:

The frightening thing was this fella had a basic inspection ticket :eek:h:

Top Bottom