No respect (1 Viewer)

paul

Reaction score
When i was coming up through the ranks of scaffolding not only did i put my time in all through labouring, bottom hand and top hand and was not even aloud to wear a set of spanners for ages but now some of these young guys starting out get spanners with in the first month and expect to use them straight away ! and have no respect for the guy running the gang . Dont know about you guys but i had all the respect for my leading hands and yeah they treated me like **** for ages but thats how it was and some of these leading hands where propper animals too !

Things have changed a lot over the last 20yrs,the days of labourers getting there heads down and just cracking on seem to have gone in the majority of new starters,they only want to know what time bait is and when is it hometime,took a load of 5hit myself for a year or two,and it didnt do me any harm,proberly the making of me,on friday afternoons in the alehouse i was still classed as on duty to the 2 scaffs i worked with,and had to be the bar runner for the duration of the session,or face public humiliation in a boozer packed with workers,great days looking back on it...

i can remember them days they were great you could do what you like to labours i had alot of fun ,the ones i got now spit there dummys out all the time.

Too true lads i got taught the trade off my best mate but still there was no let up 1 slight mess up and a double landing at your feet from a few lifts up was enough to say pull your finger out. Half the labs 2day want the coin but dont want the graft to go with it a little nose to nose confrontation sorts that out in most cases. Never done me any harm.

i hear u there lad i rememer them days an now its like these new boys think cause there trainin they can do the job better than u when really they know ****!!!

your right there fella 2many young bucks think just turning up on the job is enough,,,
most of em wont last 5minutes in the game .part 1 and 2 cards are far to easy to come by these days .having a good attitude is 90 percent of getting there when you first start out .but most young lads just want to get the tools on and ponce about on the top lift giving it the big un...

Aye, its a hard enough Game without carrying some back chattin Chimp---first sign of any lip or doggin and their sent back to the Yard---no passengers in this Game---no repreave.

Iv got to say though---when you do manage to get a good un, I'll spend time to learn him...

you lads are all dead right! when i started i had an old guy who is retired now and still c him ocasionaly who i labourd on he was a skinny little old fella but he was a tuff cookie had me workin with him in all weathers an after a while working with him he started showing me stuff and i then had an still have a lot of respect for this guy and i went out of my way to make his life easy'r i havent met any young lad like this since ive been scaffolding they just all wanna be on the spanners but soon come to a halt when they come to something a little tricky

i started out labouring for my brother 10 years ago who had been in the game 10 years, looking back it was the best experience within the game! it sounds **** working with family, but the amount i learnt in the few years i was with him is the most valuable, he was a c**t but i didnt expect anything else!

I used to get a bollocking on the way home from site if i messed up, and ive brought that through with me throughout the years ive been in the trade!

When I worked on the tools full time ,we got a new labourer/apprentice. He was from Lucy farm in Luton and thought he was a gangster and not worthy of carrying scaffolding tubes to me and my mate (who had been scaffolding for 15 years).We were working on the old Arsenal ground and the labourer was giving us the usual amount of lip, so when it was time to finish we stripped him off and tied him to the back of the lorry with the ratchet straps spread eagle style and drove him through Highbury up to the M1 . Hey presto ,no more lip. We had tried throwing him out of the truck in Hemel Hempstead and leaving him there but the nude parade through London put him in his place, probably against the law now.

i hear what you are all saying and all true. having a good grunny is half the battle and makes your job a hole lot easier. you dinnae mind jumping down and giving him a hand. but when you get a cheeky, lazy grunny or part1 you just want to beast them even more.

The biggest challenge now is being able to read into the character of new starters,knowing how to work them so they think they are getting somewhere brings the best out of them,still have to give them a verbel volley occaisionally just for old times sake,but respect is a 2 way street,and if you get a good one who shows this, its half the battle won.

yep

i laboured for over 5 years before getting the chance to use spanner, an now the labouring seemes the easiest job , jus read the scaffold. have it allready for next lift . aint roc,ket sience. i had a boss that if i sent a dodgy fitting up , it would be aimed @ me as hard as he could throw it , fook i soon learnt.:eek:

respect

alryt lads,i am a trainee at the moment i am 20, i am due for my part 2 next week, i have been doing it 4 about a year so i am still very new to the game,i am doing my fair bit of labouring but also doing quiet abit on the spanner to,i have a lot of respect for the older guys becouse ov curse they now best i just do as i am told and get on with it happy days ,respect them and get respected back.

. i had a boss that if i sent a dodgy fitting up , it would be aimed @ me as hard as he could throw it , fook i soon learnt.:eek:

haha, the company i'm currently working for has never serviced thier fittings since they had them so every fitting in the pile is a bad one:worried:

alryt lads,i am a trainee at the moment i am 20, i am due for my part 2 next week, i have been doing it 4 about a year so i am still very new to the game,i am doing my fair bit of labouring but also doing quiet abit on the spanner to,i have a lot of respect for the older guys becouse ov curse they now best i just do as i am told and get on with it happy days ,respect them and get respected back.

I'm in the same boat as you, i've been doing this since i was 14 and 4 years later i'm still labouring and just getting onto spanner work now. I'm actually going for my basic ticket in a few weeks:smile1:

respect them and get respected back
Couldn't agree more, if you don't show them any respect then there not going to teach you anything and they will unpurposly make your life a missery.

You are all dead right lads,most of the young labs just want to be babysitted these days,25 years ago when i was 16 i just did as i was told,worked my balls off,and did a bit of fixing when i was told to,they are giving out tickets like candy, and these boys are clueless today.

to right lads,labs nowar days dont know diddly about this game,i let the others in the firm do it there way,as they think they now best,then when they find out at the top of the job its wrong,then i tell them they shud have listened to me,if i see them doing something wrong i dont tell them,it works wonders for them learning,most labs just want to pass you the gear up,one lift to another,they cant climb ladders with sumat on there shoulder.bring back the old ways,dint do me no harm.gives and gets respect all round.:D

Respect everyone

Worked with some right characters over time always had respect though. Kids havin kids i put it down to.

yo sabre - u learnt of the best Brian Brown head Rosewell ha ha

Top Bottom