Calculation of SWL on loading tower (1 Viewer)

chrbr516

Reaction score
Hi all you hard working scaffolders out there, I'm not a scaffolder but have had a free standing loading tower erected to train telehandler operatives.
I was given the drawing and handover cert, however, the cert only stated a SWL of 1.5 tonnes maximum, I'm happy with this, but some jobs worth in the company has asked for the standard and calculations. I presume the standard would be heavy duty, but how did the erector calculate the SWL and come to 1.5 tonnes. I have gone back to the erector, who politely told me to go jump.

it should of been designed then you would have had the calcs to go with the design , you could contact a designer here photograph it and they can do you a design and calcs based on what you have already had erected

The calcs although sometimes seperate are normally swl on the drwg which is of course desighned so tell the jobsworth that the structure is as dwg if they still moanin just get the seperate calc sheet but tbh think they makin a problem where one dont exhist

Thanks for the replies, I've attached the drawing

Attachments

• scaffold drawing.jpg
    scaffold drawing.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 174
The drawing looks fine as a working drawing but there are no attached calculations which is what your mans looking for , also no ones name attached to it date or project address
is it just the one pack of bricks you land up there at a time ?

Gota agree with hswt on that one..nowonder questions are being asked.tbh i wouldnt have the nerve to put it forward...can i ask how much u paid for that

I do have generic dwgs for diffnt types of lbays that i used to share on here but have since stopped due to no-one recipricating however due to the way u use yours i wokld recomend contacting ben @483 with some photos and get them to provide u with a proper dtwg & calcs

Last edited:
The drawing looks fine as a working drawing but there are no attached calculations which is what your mans looking for , also no ones name attached to it date or project address
is it just the one pack of bricks you land up there at a time ?

Wouldnt get off the starting grid here phil. It would suffice as a sketch to originally send the designer/engineer. Once a finished drawing comes back from the designer with calcualations/ material specs attached it has to be submitted for approval by EPCM contractor and client. Sometimes a third party approval may be required. only once all approvals are signed can erection commence.Obviously approved drawing must be attached to permit and available at work location.
Takes some time i can tell you.

Our designer draws all our stuff by hand but we get pages of details and pages of calculations , looks like someone in the office has just drawn it on a piece of headed paper and it doesnt prove that anything works.
Thats why there is no designers name on it or any calculations

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Wouldnt get off the starting grid here phil. It would suffice as a sketch to originally send the designer/engineer. Once a finished drawing comes back from the designer with calcualations/ material specs attached it has to be submitted for approval by EPCM contractor and client. Sometimes a third party approval may be required. only once all approvals are signed can erection commence.Obviously approved drawing must be attached to permit and available at work location.
Takes some time i can tell you.

Thats what i ment HSWT as a conceptual design its fine but lacks a lot of detail
there is no way a designer has drawn it
ALL our designs have to be approved by the clients structural engineers before any work starts , and often has to be revised for one reason or another

Same here phil with the exception that theyre all cad . Like hswt said type of thing ud sketch and email over to the desighner. If this isnt another wind up i'd strongly advise to get another dwg done thats fit for purpose

Paid £1,476.80 for something I cant use until the handover cert has the calcs on it

Theyve taken a fee and given you a handover cert,I think your entitled to some calcs.
Theres some helpful designers/engineers on here, sure they will give you some good info.

The sketch is fine....as a sketch but a design it ain't!

A design requires calculations to prove its load capacity - as you have correctly pointed out what is the SWL?

I would also be asking for stability calculations under wind loads...

Problem is if you paid £1500 then that seems very cheap and obviously has no allowance in it for a design...

I dunno AX the last lbay drwg i had done was approx £450 - the cost of the build from that sketch cant exceed more than £800 & that woulda incl gates etc so tbh i think he overpaid for the service he got...lots of guys on here will prob come back with a cheaper price-think you shouda known exactley what was required by your bosses b4 going with this lol

I told them what I needed, which was an 8m loading platform, 1.5 tonne max swl, no gate, no front guardrail or toeboard, as no access was permitted. (use for telehandler loading only).
They arranged for the job to be done, and I got done on the drawing and handover cert.
Cant teach any tele ops now until I can work out the calcs.

Top Bottom