How to price in m2 (1 Viewer)

autumn.dawn

Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me the formula for pricing in m2?
We would normally price in linear m.
we are putting together a tender and have been asked to price for a non basic design scaffold in m2
If for instance we were charging £20 per m then how do we work out price per m2.
Also we have been asked to give a price per m2 for scaffold design... does this not normally get charged by the hour?
Could really do with some help with this it's our first tender and has really stretched the old brain cells !!
Tha:blink1:nks

Simple enough really we do all ours m2. Start easy with £10 per m2 then see where you would be with your old linear and adjust accordingly. The chances are you will need to up it a bit but it's as good as place to start as any.

The price for design is a strange one, I would just add it all on top just to be safe to be honest.

If you dont have a m2 price structure just work the price out in linear and then divide that price by the eqievelent in sqaure metreage,as for design cost,well mostly it's job specific,so ask a designer for an hourly rate,but any price wont fit all jobs,as with your scaffolding all jobs have different challenges which affect the price.

Thanks for your posts
Still really struggling... My husband has been in the scaffold industry for nearly 25 years but this has really got him stumped.
We haven't got any details in so much as sizes or heights or even general requirements. It's just a table that has to be filled in.....
How much per m2 to design a non basic scaffold structure? (how long is a piece of string).
How much per m2 for scaffold erection (they want a figure for 1 square meter) still don't know how to work this out. We know how much we charge per linear m for a basic scaffold.
I'm starting to pull my hair out now as we just seem to be going around in circles.
Please can anyone offer any help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
:confused:

you must know how to price in 10 ft x 10 ft thats 1 square = 9 square mtrs hope this helps

You need to put the higher rate that you think your design will cost,maybe one of the designers on here can guide you better,these daft forms are a load of bullsh*t designed by daft quantity surveyers who dont realise that these price matrix's can very rarely be applied,right if you've got a 10mx 2 lift job=20m,say you charge £20 per linear metre=£400

so if youve got 2x2m lifts=10mx4m=40m-400=£10 per m2.

We probally have different systems to work this out,but i would inflate that price slightly to cover any variables,because you dont want to be held to that price for all jobs;)

To be honest Dawn we never ever fill out these forms and never give them a rate they can extrapolate to suit any site they like. By all means give them a price using m2 but get an exact site or job, tell them you will price one to give them an idea but any other way is heading for trouble.

This can be a bannana skin. Whenever we're asked for these kind of prices I return them with a price for scaffolding per linier meter as you cant tell if you've got a 2m or 1m or even 0.5m lifts on the job.

Another thing I would advise you to do is throw the schedule of rates paper thy've given you and put it down on your own headed paper... If they push you to put it on their paper work they're probably trying to catch you out...That's when you tell them to feck off.....:D

Like the lads are saying be careful , how can you price for a designed scaffold until you have a good idea of whats involved , there could be anything involved .

Think the best thing 2do is leave the prices blank and send in a covering letter on headed paper explaining it is impossible 2submit a m2 price due to the unforseen circumstances of each job i.e access,hours, design!! As it is your first tender and you want to look professional i think the covering letter worded correctly will look very profesional

Thank you all, we are really grateful !!
Thanks Big fish for the maths i think we have it now.
We are going to do as suggested and add our own stipulations etc regarding the design costs on a separate headed piece of paper.
We were up late last night adding the final touches but it is all coming together now. We are only a small firm and a relatively new one so everyday is a learning curve. We could never have guessed when we started out how stressful it could be !!
Anyway much appreciated and fingers crossed now that we get the work :blink1:

Top Bottom