Do i need a design?

big john

Reaction score
Ive got a job on top of a 12 story office block,
its an 8m guardrail with netting,
everythings got to go up in a lift so nothing longer than an 8ft can go up,
its on a parapit wall so the workmen can work on top of an air conditioning unit safely,
i cant drill in anywhere but can get a short butt under the air conditioning unit,i also thought about using 56lb weights as kentiledge,
the only thing im worried about is the wind resistance/force against the netting,
need i bother?
dont laugh at my picture:embarrest:
Cornwall-20121201-00126.jpg

Ive got a job on top of a 12 story office block,
its an 8m guardrail with netting,
everythings got to go up in a lift so nothing longer than an 8ft can go up,
its on a parapit wall so the workmen can work on top of an air conditioning unit safely,
i cant drill in anywhere but can get a short butt under the air conditioning unit,i also thought about using 56lb weights as kentiledge,
the only thing im worried about is the wind resistance/force against the netting,
need i bother?
dont laugh at my picture:embarrest:
Cornwall-20121201-00126.jpg
Hang Ya spanners up n seek new employment as a draughtsman!!!

John your drawing looks like the job's hanging over the parapet wall in which case you would need a drawing,we do these type of jobs regular for cleaning the tops of air con units,can you not put a boarded platform to the other side and edge protection around the rest?if not i would be tempted to just act daft and get a drawing retrospectively if it comes on top............or just add some calc's to the drawing you've already done:D

Fella as far as im aware any Type of Sheeting Attatched to Scaffold Frame requires Design if so Include cost to your Quotation.

my next question is how do i go about getting a design?
the firms i used to work for use optima.
will they have to have a look at the job?

my next question is how do i go about getting a design?
the firms i used to work for use optima.
will they have to have a look at the job?

Take some photo's it'll be cheaper than a site visit,there's a couple of designer's on here that may help you out;)

Just a thought but could you not fix the handrail and netting to the inside face of the parapet by using longer upright, it is a metre high wall and then box over to make it solid as you have shown, you could add a second transom or brace down to the outside puncheon on the wall. the tube under the unit will stop any uplift and if its debris netting being used there is less wind resistance.

big john

Yes I would advise a design.

The sketch is perfect, a few more dims (width of parapet and height of netting) and a scaffold designer can work with it and do you some calcs.

It looks like it will work fine when looking at wind right to left but wind left to right it will struggle....you will need a knee brace from the inner upright to one of the rails. Then a design check to see if it is stable under its own weight.

I'd be happy to help further should you require. Apex Scaffold Design

big john

Yes I would advise a design.

The sketch is perfect, a few more dims (width of parapet and height of netting) and a scaffold designer can work with it and do you some calcs.

It looks like it will work fine when looking at wind right to left but wind left to right it will struggle....you will need a knee brace from the inner upright to one of the rails. Then a design check to see if it is stable under its own weight.

I'd be happy to help further should you require. Apex Scaffold Design

I'll get the other dimensions next week hopefully and get back to you

do u neede to be scaff to du scaffhold desining? - Nah

But Same as a Black Cab driver it helps if you have the Knowledge (Scaffing)Theory & Practice.

Double Whammy -Guilty as charged done it myself to increase % of year end Bonus for all our Staff.

Last edited:
As soon as you use kentledge for stabilty you need to be looking at design - where did you get 56lb number from for instance??

IDH.

Top Bottom