Scaffold access gate (1 Viewer)

BarryMC

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum and would like to say hello.
I am a safety professional, and have just visited a site where 5 individual scaffolds have been erected. Each one has an access ladder giving access to the high level platform, with the opening portected with a spring loaded gate. On two of the scaffolds the ladder rises to the opening side of the gate and access onto the paltform is easy. The other three scaffolds have ladders that rise to the hinged side of the gate, so accessing the scaffold is more difficult because you have to reach backwards to open the gate which has a spring that is quite strong. Is there a right way to install gates?
BarryMC

Welcome Barry.

As far as I know this is covered by the old saying "follow the manufactures instructions".

But basically you want to access the platform as easy as possible, and while the gate is protecting the men on the platform in all respects it hinders the man on the ladder. So it should be placed to avoid having to reach off the ladder. There are ways (except extreme circumstances) to change it round so the gate will open the way you want it to.

When I was on site the scaffold contractor was not on site, I have tried to ring him without success, and have e-mailed him, and had no reply as yet. Also the scaffold is not yet in use, until next week. I asked this forum just in case I get a negative response from the scaffolder that my concerns are unfounded.

Guys
Spoke with the scaffolder, and he agreed that the gates where incorrect, and they need changing, and he will do it before the scaffold is used.
So he knew the gates weren't right, but left them as they were.Anyway he's going to fic the problem.
Thanks for you help everyone; glad I found this forum.

Don't use it to bash the scaff round the head with Barry but welcome anyway.

I have seen a couple of our jobs with upside down gates but looks quite poor to be honest although there is nothing wrong with it I prefer just to put the ladder on the other side of the job.

The scaffolder is going to change the ladder to the other side. He has also left a couple of 100mm wide gaps between the boards, so have instructed him to sort these out at the same time.

No aom I won't bash him, but it is good to have experienced scaffolders to ask questions, as although I know some of the requirements, I am not a scaffolder, so need to confirm my thoughts before saying anything that is wrong.

The scaffolder is going to change the ladder to the other side. He has also left a couple of 100mm wide gaps between the boards, so have instructed him to sort these out at the same time.

How were there gaps in the boards?

Top Bottom