Handrails! (1 Viewer)

TomP

Reaction score
Hi guys im just after some info on handrails.

When i did my part 2 i was told that the guidance had changed with TG20 so that handrail including stopends had to be returned off on doubles instead of singles!

Ive been doing this for ages now but now other lads are saying nah its ok on singles, can anybody clear this up?

Many thanks!!

Alrite mate,i think that the recommendation for return handrails and stop ends is as you say to have doubles on..

I think you will find that in most Industrial Scaffolding jobs (Power Stations, Oil refineries, etc) it has long been a recognised method for securing all Handrails and Stop-Ends.

In fact all tubes should be connected with Doubles where possible with the exception of Boarded Lifts whereby Singles can be used on Transoms.

Thanks guys i thought i was right, it doesn't happen very often! ha ha!!!!

I was wondering how many NASC registered companies actually do it. Most scaffold inspectors dont pick up on it even the Nasc guy didnt pick up on it in the records!

Tom

Technical Guidance and indeed British Standards are not a Statutory Requirement---REASONABLY PRACTICABLE covers all the arses, however, we can all impliment our own Standards and that is why many seasoned Scaffolders preffer to use Double Couplers because they recognise the benefits to the Integrity, Reliability and Stability of the Structure...

I think the the differences between, Recommendations & Law, creates a real "grey area" for me at least. A lot of people deffos get mixed up between law/recom. or even common practice. It seems to me one, if not followed correctly, you could find yourself in court and the other you cuold get shot of site... lol..

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

haha, I took that long to write that last quote, Gary was in before me.. haha.

I prefer it! But then again there are lots of things i prefer but the other lads think are fine, you know just little things like - i do a two metre bay and the other lads do a 4m bay!

James

we must be on the same wave length M8---

Here is a wee seinario for you:

A Scaffold has partialy collapsed---the subsquant Investigation has established that the Visual Statutory Inspections have been conducted, however, the Investigation established that the causation/contributary factor of the collaps was due to incorrect B.S.Torque Values delivered to the Coulpers---what is the outcome of the Judges Finding---a grey area or what ???

I must admit that most of that went over my head though, a friend of mine said when he was inducted to go offshore he was told he couldn't use his trusty ratchet do to potentially over tightening fittings....i.e. too much torque..

James

Over Torque is just as dangerouse as under Torque.

Over Torque : Causes, Bolt Creep, Bust Threads, Deviations in the jaws and gates and gives rise to stress fractures...Tubes can be subject to gouging and dimpling ( Band and Plate ) which in turn weekens the o/d of the Tube wall...

So Gary, how tight?? A 16st bloke with massive forearms can wrap a double tighter than a 10 stone mr. muscle type fella. So would it be correct to wrap a fitting til tight, then a extra quarter turn. Its funny that we just wrap fittings like second nature, but don't really give a thought for, correct amount of torque..

Handrail returns

As I am an ex-GKN Mills man, I was brought up with using load bearing fittings (double to double in mills 90z style) on all lifts and all returns even on boarded lifts as the mills 90z was made to give a level finish when on top of each other so I would say it was a natural practice for me :).

James

Torque Values are stated in B.S. 1139 Metal Scaffolds, however, for obviouse reasonns thay are not complied with, therefore, every Scaffold in the Land is Technicaly out of compliance with B.S. 1139---given that a B.S. is not a Statutory requirement that implys that it is not illeagle to deploy a coupler outwith B.S. 1139.

We as Seasoned Scaffolder can usualy gauge the Torque Range required, however, we cannot regulate against Human error, how many times have you came across a loose fitting or partialy tight ?, Im not saying that its intentional, however. To comply with B.S. 1139 there would have to be a mechcanical tharther that a manual method of deploying a Coupler---as it is we only have a System of Work and Method Statment to guid us.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Tac

well said Tac...

You have thought about this very deeply haven't you Garry!!!! How do you fancy being the scaffold manager at our place, you would only have to give one speach on how you wanted stuff and five out of the six gangs would leave ha ha! Then i could get my hands on the 18 tonne wagon!!!;)

Well said mate. I be a liar if i said every fitting i've ever wrapped was 100%. Many times I have been in the process of wrapping a fitting, only for it to "snap" loose, usually because of a lack of servicing, i.e. some form of debri on the threads, or being too busy keeping an eye on a less than adequate trainee. Complacency is an enemy..

Tom

I was just pointing out the hipocticy, baldeerdash and poppcock that some of the H&S Practitioners that create the policies and make the desissions for our Industry actualy talk---they proclaim and proffes to stringent H&S, yet they cannot devise a method of deploying a Couplers to its optimum level...:nuts:

James

Competency and Capability is a source of concern to us all---and whilst we are on the subject od Statutory requirements---it is not a Statutory requirement to hold a CITB Card---the Statutory requirement is that the Scaffolder should be Compenent and Capable to erect the Scaffold Structure to Statutory requirements---however, as we all know NO CARD NO JOB...:eek:

Top Bottom