Sleeves the wrong way round (1 Viewer)

Rev up!!

Reaction score
Hi lads theres alot of confusion with scaffolders as to how to position a sleeve correctly on a topper. does anyone have solid facts so we can all get it right. much appreciated

I dont know the facts, but as i am right handed, the bolts will be to the right and the open part of the box will face outwards, so as not to snag on anyone walking to close to the box.....especially at head height..

I dont know the facts, but as i am right handed, the bolts will be to the right and the open part of the box will face outwards, so as not to snag on anyone walking to close to the box.....especially at head height..
I
I do it exactly the same mate I was taught to do it like that and it is easier if you are right handed , so if your gammy handed you should be a brickie or somethin. . . Lol

Thats the only way for me . see so many right handed scaffs with the bolts facing left and the gap facing in (what are they thinking) its all about getting that bit quicker and a bit more tidy also when i put singles on for me the bolts have to face each other makes the job look real tidy and when i ask for braces i hate it when the labourer brings me different size tubes or when he brings me a short long and it will f*** up the joints then he will be getting me another one .

lol... you put your signature to every job.. If it looks a tidy job, it usually is...

I
I do it exactly the same mate I was taught to do it like that and it is easier if you are right handed , so if your gammy handed you should be a brickie or somethin. . . Lol

should be a brickie what ever bolts to the left for me

The only benefit of the open face of the sleeve looking inwards is that you can see for certain the topper has dropped right into the sleeve,but as you say makes it more awkward for right handers to tighten the fitting up..

yes true,but also the topper leans out which can pull the scaffold away from the wall,put the sleeve the other way and it slightly leans in untill done up which for me with long is safer-just my take on it.

I top out with the open face inward to make sure that the topper has interfaced with the centre, with bolts on the left hand side, I wrap the top bolt, take a nip on the bottom bolt, then put my spanner on the bottom bolt at 90 Degrees and using my spanner as a leaver push the sleeve/collar round 180 Degrees so as the open side is then facing the outside of the Scaffold, then wrap it.

I always position the open face upward when sleeving out ledgers, help stablize/strengthen the bending moment of the tube---with that in mind, I usualy try to keep the sleeve joint no more that 1' from the node point where practicable and always stagger the joints. ( werz di skins Man )

Paul, Im with you, I position my singles with the bolts facing each other, I find that this provision gives a universal compression forces which is directed inward to the Scaffold and keeps the job tidy...

I'm not saying that the above is right or wrong---it's just the way that I was tought ( NOT CITB By the way ) old skool ;)

Hi Rev Up
Opening inwards to see if its in and leaning in and bolts on the righthand side.
The reason, easier when striking!!
Regards Tufty

I think in the end we all find our own ways which makes it easier and a tidy job as there are plenty of scaffs still out there slapping it up day after day !! . For me putting up a rough job is not right thinking all the other scaffs driving by in there trucks looking at it nah no way , do it right the first time and have some pride in our work as we are still thought of as the ashole of the construction industry but infact we are the back bone of all construction (bring it on boys!!!!).

A Sleeve is wrapped up very easily with either hand........all you have to do is flip it over ..............and the nuts will be on whichever side you want them.

I normally flip the sleeve over when hemping as I want to know that both ends of the sleeve are open and there will be no problem when I am trying to drop a 21 into it.......:cheesy:

Regarding which way to face the nuts: My personal preference is to face them outwards............and that goes for Handrails too!

I top out with the open face inward to make sure that the topper has interfaced with the centre, with bolts on the left hand side, I wrap the top bolt, take a nip on the bottom bolt, then put my spanner on the bottom bolt at 90 Degrees and using my spanner as a leaver push the sleeve/collar round 180 Degrees so as the open side is then facing the outside of the Scaffold, then wrap it.

I always position the open face upward when sleeving out ledgers, help stablize/strengthen the bending moment of the tube---with that in mind, I usualy try to keep the sleeve joint no more that 1' from the node point where practicable and always stagger the joints. ( werz di skins Man )

Paul, Im with you, I position my singles with the bolts facing each other, I find that this provision gives a universal compression forces which is directed inward to the Scaffold and keeps the job tidy...

I'm not saying that the above is right or wrong---it's just the way that I was tought ( NOT CITB By the way ) old skool ;)

Im with you on that one too...
After a while it just becomes second nature and dosnt take any longer to do. There was a similar thread a while back about which way bolts face, I always go with facing in on clips and braces where possible, same as the sleeves with Gary....

Dave.

leftie

i stick mine on with bolts to the left , you can allways hear when tubes dropped in , but great thing is , it dont half anoy righties when striking :nuts:

Any decent scaff can use both hands pretty well.. you soon learn when when it come to awkward situations.

Dave

Addendum: with the sleeve positioned with the open end facing out I can place a Staff/Tube flush to the standard this provision gives a more accurate chalk/mark when measuring lift hights ( Im a fussy cu^t, LOLooo )

James---well said M8, second nature after a while south paw or right handed---alternate when which ever hand gets weary :eek:

Garry...

I totally agree with garry , the modern scaffolders today could learn a thing or two from the old school style and there method of application, although i think that the fittings will have been tested no matter which way the have been fixed.

The guidance is that the sleeves should be no greater than 1/3rd into the bay, to reduce the bending moments.

ya see the main problem with the nut an bolt is there made for righthanded use. but to be honnest i can use both hands, many years of having to , my ex boss couldnt work out why i found it so easy to undo fittings that are under you. ie board clips . it become natural to a leftie as ar*e about face becomes the correct way for spinning nuts .:nuts::weird:

outward bound

Unfortunatly, at this time, there is no Provision for the allocate of Coach/Mentors for the further Training of Novice/Greenhand Scaffold Erectors---Further Bolt on Training, Erecting Techniques and allied Installation of Scaffolding Utilities/Sundries are left to the good will of the Experianced/Seasoned Scaffolder.

It is my opinion that Service Companies should and could invest in allocating Coach/Mentors to Novice/Greenhands---all to often the Sevice Companies will only consider Experienced Erectors for Situations Vacant, they want the best of both Worlds, Experianced Erectors carrying Not-so Experianced Erectors and receiving top Dallar for each Man employed by the Client.

I know that there are many Scaffolding Firms invest in home grown Scaffolders and Train them to a high Standard---however, it is mainly the Blue Chip Service Orginisations that cream off the Experianced Scaffs---and the Scaffs who are desperate to have a go at the Big Money, are penalised for lack of Experiance...

Your thoughts please ???

Garry...

Top Bottom