Friction clamps (1 Viewer)

hopper68

Reaction score
This is a small hanger erected with the use of friction clamps I erected earlier in the year. Friction clamps are a very handy scaffold component .

Last edited:
Where are the friction clamps and why are the alloy beams wrong way up. Are they 750 mm Layher beams?

The friction clamps are wrapped round the main steel work behind the ladder there is a pair of steel ladder beams carrying the 5m alloy beams... Ps they are the right way up..

Why did you need to use the friction clamps when you hung from the top beams to carry the bottom, thus you have a steel beam running the opposite direction next to your friction clamp,is that not also taking the weight?
I’m not questioning your work, looks a tidy job, just never used nor seen a friction clamp

The beams you see above the pipe work are actually a lifting frame for suspending propane gas lines for the upgrade of the pipe supports . We can only use the main structure to hang off this why we use the friction clamps.

The beams you see above the pipe work are actually a lifting frame for suspending propane gas lines for the upgrade of the pipe supports . We can only use the main structure to hang off this why we use the friction clamps.

Is the top beams not sitting on the main structure?

Overkill with friction clamps and ps the alloy beams are not at optimum strength i e 55 kNs but hey if I found friction clamps I'd play with em just to see ..otherwise nice job

Why did you need to use the friction clamps when you hung from the top beams to carry the bottom, thus you have a steel beam running the opposite direction next to your friction clamp,is that not also taking the weight?
I’m not questioning your work, looks a tidy job, just never used nor seen a friction clamp

The Hanger MUST have been erected from those Ladder Beams and then punched up, due the un-spliced Sleeve on the left hand side.

Double Ladder Beams on the left and a Horse built on the right dropped down then the Alloy Beams added after to strengthen the span under the middle bit/which looks like a Jetty or something.
I cant see any other way in doing it... the Ladder Beams are taking the weight from the angle of that picture.

ps: Whats a Friction Clamp?!? :confused:

The top beams are actually are a comming off the friction also , the lifting frame beams are running across the the top beams on the right hand side of the picture , all weight at the lifting point has pick up from the main structure.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Friction clamps are used when you are working with circular steelwork, ps thats not a horse, that's the ladder access off the main jetty road.

Oh ok.
I mean on the right hand side. Is that not a frame/Horse thats picking up the weight of the last the Dropper (on the far far right hand side)?

Either way a pretty neat job. :)
Bet it was cold, lol.

I’m lost here with this friction business, what are they the steel chains wrapped around the main structure, and still don’t see the need for them when you have the 2 steel beams,would they not have been good enough boxed off at the opposite side to allow for the over hang?

You are right with the sleeving of the punched tubes Jason.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Steel chains that's the clamps, I will get a close up of another job in morning with the clamps and post a pic tomorrow. They are great for the round steelwork a lot better than boxing round and quicker...ps shows you how bored I'm getting posting pics of scaffolds lol

Ok mate each too their own for building .nice finish either way. If the friction clamps are quicker ill take your word for it, just never seen nor heard of them...

So the Friction Clamps are a kind of Block n Tackle thing?
Also, how did you drop down onto the right hand side Dropper?? Did you use Goalposts/Trapeze and take it out after??

Looks like you might have built it off boat/barge under neath... if i could have done it that way, id have done it that way ;) - materials all on the barge... life soooooo much easier, lol.

So the Friction Clamps are a kind of Block n Tackle thing?
Also, how did you drop down onto the right hand side Dropper?? Did you use Goalposts/Trapeze and take it out after??

Looks like you might have built it off boat/barge under neath... if i could have done it that way, id have done it that way ;) - materials all on the barge... life soooooo much easier, lol.

Yer nearly right , I built this off a ladder ,during the low tide

A friction clamp is just that.
It is designed to sit on the round section steels off shore.
The clamp sits on the round members just like a saddle the chains then wrap around the member and are tightened to create the friction grip. Much stronger than a box tie and take a lot of beating when the sea is rough.
The saddle portion of the clamp has couplers to enable you to base out and/or make suitable connection.
Good piece of kit but mostly off shore.

Attachments

• Friction_Clamp.jpg
    Friction_Clamp.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 28
top beam is the right way, 450mm layher that is, bottom one aint.

not that it makes that big a difference, looks tidy though.

Top Bottom