Impact wrench ban (1 Viewer)

a site can ban anything they like my friend.. .its their site, but technically if you put the use of IWs in your rams then there shouldnt be to many problems -although you'll get the guys on here that will baffle you with torque settings and fit for purpose,
IWs are getting more and more common now,but you still come across the odd site agent from the middle ages who think they're witchcraft and tools of the devil, or the opposite switched on cookie who knows his stuff and due to torque settings being more than 50kn only allow them to be used for striking;)

and would probably make everyone around them wear ear defenders!!!!!!

Don't ban them there a life savour but site do wat they like these days even make up there own scaffold design rules I got drawings for 6 tonne loading bay an can still only load it the same wat is the point

Seems odd though after 6 weeks using it on the site. The reason given was so pathetic it was almost laughable.
So after paying out almost 400 quid on somethimg to prolong my life in the trade, some clown decides that I cant use it anymore on the site.
Christ I was going a 100mph as it is WITH using the wrench, anyhow I've walked off.
Sod em

Seems odd though after 6 weeks using it on the site. The reason given was so pathetic it was almost laughable.
So after paying out almost 400 quid on somethimg to prolong my life in the trade, some clown decides that I cant use it anymore on the site.
Christ I was going a 100mph as it is WITH using the wrench, anyhow I've walked off.
Sod em

Which firm was this?

Bovis Homes have their ban still in place.

so what was their reason then, theres loads of threads on here about it, i'd read up on them all so next time ur told u cant use it - at least you could in your defence make a good and valid argument

Which firm was this?

Bovis Homes have their ban still in place.

No it wasnt bovis, I wouldnt work for them anyway.
I'll just see how the ball bounces before I post the name on the forum.
As for the reason, there wasnt one really, just some claptrap about a works manager not being happy about the tool.
In short, they are scared of the unknown. I wonder if they should feel the same in 5 years time when eveyones using them?

Fully charged battery power = Torque over 50kn = Stretched bands on fitting
Lads stripping with spanner swing on nuts like a monkey trying to undo them
Run down battery power = Less than required Torque = loose fittings= unsafe scaffold

BUT How does your wrist/spanner know it is exactly 50kn???????????

Spannerman, when the battery goes flat it is almost instant not gradual. You would have to be a right dummy to leave a fitting loose with an I.W.

There are also dummy's about who leave the fittings loose when on a spanner
Not trying to be picky but is almost instant not the same as gradual?

Cheers Swifty, always good to learn something every day.
What I wrote is what a company gave to there lads in a memo this week and banned them
(but not the exact words about the monkey)

John, a reasoned argument is the best way forward with this. The usual concerns are the maximum advertised torque settings which can be easily monitored and checked but as part of any in house training programme just copy the already common terminology used with the alternative the swing over, 2 turns and a squeak is the industry standard so as soon as you hear the hammer action kick in on the IW, RELEASE THE TRIGGER DUMMY should just about cover that but if your still not happy constant monitoring by checking say 1 in 5 fittings with your swing over to make sure you are still hitting existing tolerances.

Noise, can't speak for all IW's but the 2 different makes we use are just under the levels for hearing protection but UNDER is the key word here. Again, monitor individual jobs for other things affecting noise levels on your site like confined space and by all means issue ear defenders for the work party but once again on the average site there is far more noise coming from the load alls reversing bleeper and no one has issued ear defenders for that.

Vibration, is something I know absolutely nothing about but I can guarantee you I will be a bit more clued up in the coming weeks as I produce the reams of paper work required to prove what I already know. Trigger time is minimal on an erect but admittedly on the strike the whole benefit of these tools is to get one going ahead of the boys and loosen every fitting in sight whilst the rest pick up the material and bomb I mean lower it.:embarrest: That may have to change but again the vibration will be easy enough to measure and control as it's obviously related to battery life and the current thinking of one per squad may have to be changed to one per scaffolder to reduce an individuals trigger time.

Anyone banning these tools are once again showing their complete lack of knowledge and understanding of their responsibilities of monitoring the health of their workforce and are now making men repeat a task that has got an already documented history of causing injury when there is an alternative available.

If you are dealing with a sh1te bag try that card you may get further with that one.;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Alistair.
I was actually thinking of reconsidering using the wrench until I change the socket as one point raised was the fact that the socket has ripped a few nuts, and in the case of cheap imported fittings, during stripping a job, the nuts simply flew off the bolt.
But that was due to teething troubles til I got used to handling the wrench.

There will always be some teething troubles when getting used to any new tool and that was something we had to get used too as well. I still think out of the 2 we use the makita has the better break and you are very unlikely to spin the nut off even on the cheaper fitting's that haven't been crimped, our hilti on the other hand has to be treated with kid gloves or it's raining nuts and washers.

Has manufacturers like hilti ever produced a hand tool that will exceed any basic safety regulations like noise and vibration in the past 10 years?

Top Bottom