Ledger Bracing

Mardecar

Reaction score
Can someone put me straight on a argument about ledger bracing? Do we have to put ledger bracing into a lift, if the lift is less than 1.00m in height???

Ledger bracing

Hi Mardecar

You should put ledger bracing in a 1.0m lift according to TG20:08.

It is possible to consider leaving ledger bracing out of the scaffold, but this would have to be designed as the buckling loads on the legs needs to be considered.

If the ledger braces are left out then it would require more ties or double standards, but this depends on height, loading, location, sheeting, etc.

The ledger braces are needed to provide the stiffness in the standards, which is provided by the welded joints of the system scaffolds.

Hope this helps, best to put them in than risk a collapse.

All the best

Chris Eng:idea:

work

hi chris just phoned a fella in dunstable for ajob wasnt intrested because of where i live .got to keep head up english bob:(

u can get away with bracing every 3rd standard instead of every other standard according to tg20 08 on small lift heights but i cant remember what that is i will look in the morning and let u know

Ledger brace every 3rd bay

Hi Stoth

Thanks for the comment.

You are right that you can fit a ledger brace every third bay when the bay length is less than 1.5m. Clause 6.2.1 paragraph 1 TG20:08. :idea:

Funny never noticed this in the code before, but dont think I have ever done an independent with bays of 1.5m bays.

All the best

ChrisEng

i think if the job needs doing it needs doing proper as its not just you on the scaff at the end of the day if your boss spec's ledger bracing even if its 2ft off the ground then its for a reason you can fall over in the street and brack your leg if the scaffolding isnt up the way it was ment to be and the sh*t hits tthe van and your in the office with no job its your falt siple iv worked on dogy scaff and its not nice
say you put up a 5ft/5ft/5m boarded lift toe boards hand rails up side of a house with no bracing or tyed off is it ok

Top Bottom