Mist course (1 Viewer)

welshboy

Reaction score
Is this course really necessary or is it just another TAX on the scaffolder. Also if you dont have it as a new starter to the offshore industry then certain firms wont touch you,,,,,surely they have an obligation to help train people too!!!!!!!!

Answers on a postcard please.

Welshboy,

Here is my take on it for what it's worth.

I started scaffolding in 89 when Mowlem put me through my part 1 as I was the youngest on the site. Since then I have paid for every ticket or piece of training my self save a couple of off shore medicals. Every time I jumped ship to get a few extra quid, not once did I look back with any sense of guilt, my consious was clear, the previous employer invested nothing in me and deserved whatever he got.

Now as an employer I am never off the phone with some training provider to organise either apprentice training or just forklift, first aid, harness inspection, scaffold inspection or ssmtc. I have resigned myself to the fact that as long as I'm in business I will be training a couple of young guys who will come and go but hopefully the older more experienced scaff will recognise what I try to do and pay me back with a bit of loyalty.

Again, this is just an opinion and not meant as advice but I would jump through their hoop's pay the tax and then screw the bandits for as much coin as you can get. :D

welshboy

Im with aom---my take on it is pay the Tax and claw it back---as with aom, I have a policy of personal investment, I self sponcer all my credentials and owe no alegiance to any Company, I can tell them to poke it any time ( get me a feckin chopper ) I dont expect any favours from them and they get none from me---if you wait around for a Company to pay for Training you'll be left sitting on the Beach dont wait around---we are a Mercenary Nomadic Bunch---time and tide waits for no Man and neither do Scaffs.

Play the laughing assasin, pay the Tax and stab them in the Back first opportunity...:eek:

Im with you both--- owe them nothing and have no loyalty, it just winds me up that we pay our way through self sponsorship then pricks from up above invent some other way of getting back what we earned off them in the first place. I think i will sit on the beach on this one and watch as im sure i will be employed by one of the big guns again shortly and earn the tax for this course in some inventive devious way, why not take it and run.

welshboy

I know all these feckin CITB and Offshore oriantated Training Courses amount to protection Money---NO Ticket NO Job---in all fairness the Service Companies should be made to Pay for the Training because they are benefiting---but they dont play fair, SO, neither do we---kick them in the Baz at every turn LOLOOO WWwwwooooooooooooooooooosh:nuts:

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

if you'v been Offshore before with another Mob---I heard that you only need to do a touch screan MIST at the Employers Office---:amazed:

Gary mate lets just face it none of them give a **** for us we are just numbers,,,,,,but your right we all work for the biggest organised crime syndicates on the planet all wanting us to part with gold and giving us p45s in return. Well is say take em for all you can and run shouting to the hilltops i've done you so feck orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfffff
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ive not been offshore yet mate but have a few contacts who work for cape,,,,,in contact with cape every week and they assure me not to do the mist as if i get a start with them they will put me through it, even if i do it myself they say as far as they are concerned it wont make a difference to them if i have got it or not. Its the other two gangster companies who are pissing me off- there policy is-if you aint got it we wont employ you but if you have got MIST we still cant give you a deffinate answer on a job,,,,,,,,,,,,,how fecked is that?

Last edited:
Ah the new minimum industry safety training , another bank roll from those who can least afford it trying to get offshore . Someone somewhere must sit in an office thinking how can we get more cash out of these thick ***** .
We can only hope that there is an industry shortage again to put these parasites back in their place . Strange how these things are needed when there is a glut of guys available but hey presto when they are short they don`t need them .It pisses me right off . Anyways keep the faith .

Top Bottom