lift 1.8 or 1.35

extra180

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Code of Practice load table from BS 5973 1990, and are reading 'Access Scaffolding' by S. Champion.

It states near the bottom of the table:
'Masonry or special duty': a bay length of 1.8mt for a 300kg/m2 loading
'Masonry or block work with storage capactity': a 1.6mt bay length for 450kg/m2 loading.

But the table does not state the lift, I read for a basic Independent Tied scaffold a 'lift height of 1.35mt for brickwork', or '1.8mt for other trades' is quoted - which would you apply to the above table to allow for these loadings.

Thanks

BS 5973 -Outdated

Fella,

can only recommend

Attatched front pages of relevant Info.
You will need to get copies of full package to utilise in order to keep HSE satisfied.

Good Luck

Attachments

• EN12811.1.doc
    225 KB · Views: 52
  • TWE.doc
    137 KB · Views: 31
Hi,
I have a Code of Practice load table from BS 5973 1990, and are reading 'Access Scaffolding' by S. Champion.

'Masonry or block work with storage capactity': a 1.6mt bay length for 450kg/m2 loading.

But the table does not state the lift, I read for a basic Independent Tied scaffold a 'lift height of 1.35mt for brickwork', or '1.8mt for other trades' is quoted - which would you apply to the above table to allow for these loadings.

Thanks

Just out of curiosity why do you want this, is it to design a scaffold or to put one up?

Bs5973 has been withdrawn so no longer relavant, as Stella fella said you would need bs en 12811-1 or tg20 I would think.

Hi,

Thanks

Stewart Champion was the formost expert on scaffolding prior to the release of 5973 but I think he has been gon for 30 plus years.
It's all about 12811, 5975 and TG20 now

Thanks for the images ...
The 'Section 2 - Standard Scaffolds' posted here states the lift height to be almost the same value as BS 5973, 1.35-1.50m for brickwork, and 2.00mt for walk throughs.

Not seeing Page 21 of your book 'Maximum Bay Lengths' - could I assume these values haven't changed much either, so going with a Bay Length of 1.8mt and a lift of 1.35-1.50mt on an Independant Tied Scaffold, you could acheive a loading of 300kg/m2 ?

BS1139 states a 4mm (48.3mm) thick tube, I assume the 'Section 2' page you've posted is based on that wall thickness.

The structure doesn't need to adhere to HSE requirements, but needs to be constructed to some standard so I can be confident it will support itself and any imposed loads.

Thanks

Last edited:
1.LOADING UNIFORMLY DISTRIBUTED ON PLATFORM
MAYBE CAN ASSUME m2

2.wall thickness yes

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    358 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thanks, thats really helpfull.
So Designation 4-4-1 has a bay length of 1.8mt, max board spacing transom 900mm, lift 1.35-1.50mt. Supporting 3kN/m2.

I am looking to lower 6mt steel beam of 300kg temporarily onto the structure, along a platform of 4+1 boards wide that is approx 10 mt long, with 3 lifts..

In theory my platform should support approx 27 kN/m2 (approx 9 m2) with 3 lifts of 1.5mt?
With this in mind, if I had 3 lifts of 1.8mt - I should be still well within tolerance to support this load?

Last edited:
2700kg spread over 9 m2 platform x 3 1.8 lifts with in Limit.
Ensure your foundations are Suitable

if still concerns as an extra precaution it would be advisable to either reduce Transom Spacing or double up on each.

after that you get on to if reqd additional Legs -ladder beams -check fittings -design etc.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Foundations are firm (a drive way).

Will consider closer transom spacing.

Yes I understand tying is important, the scaffold will be approx 6-8mt tall, the load bearing platform at 5.5mt, Transoms will butt against the building, still studying regarding ties, am looking at drilled anchors, the book states 40m2 per tie, so am I right in thinking the area of my scaffold is 10mt long x say 8mt high = area 80m2, so I require 2 ties ? I would consider putting 4 ties in - just for good measure.

I will probably apply several 'external raker's and possible 'foot tie's in addition to internal bracing and the ties.

Do you mean a 4x4m grid making 16m2? 40m2 per tie is quite an area.

Stop piiisin about mate and get a qualified dcaffolder to deal with it... u aint gonns learn everything off the internet ovetnight & trying to save urself a few quid is gonna get somene hurtbe stick with ur day job my friend and leave design to the professionals and doin up the nuts and bolts to scaffolders

Stop piiisin about mate and get a qualified dcaffolder to deal with it... u aint gonns learn everything off the internet ovetnight & trying to save urself a few quid is gonna get somene hurtbe stick with ur day job my friend and leave design to the professionals and doin up the nuts and bolts to scaffolders

I assumed extra180 was a scaffolder who wanted help from the Forum.
Welcome to the Forum.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

You should reconsider your tie pattern or beefing up the buttress (In my humble opinion)

BSEN1283 ws replaced by TG20.08 So all training mandates should be updated and all relevant working practices should be in accordance with TG20. I`m sure this applies to system scaffold as well as tube and fitting. I`m sure you download a copy of TG20.08 Which should include tie pattens and Maximum weight loads, hope this helps.

Thanks, no I am not a scaffolder.

The facade (on a basic independant tied scaffold) is 10mt long x 8mt tall = 80sq mt - I have read the book again and it states: Non removable ties on unsheeted scaffolds: 40m2, if I put in more than 2 ties (I will put 4 in) that woud be good practice ?

The 40m2 rule is an old one from BS5973 which was withdrawn many many years ago.

As a rough rule of thumb you need 1 tie every 16m2 but there a other 'rules' regarding where they a positioned.

I'm a scaffold designer, its tough getting info through a forum. If you would like a 5 minute chat to run through things feel free to get in touch. My contact details I will PM you.

Top Bottom