behavioural health & safety (1 Viewer)

Orac

Reaction score
is this the new training technique, i went for an induction a few months back for keir, i thought the trainer/instructor was brilliant, i had a chat with him after the induction, he said it was behavioural science or something, i gazed around the room whilst he was talking & everyone was paying attention there were 40-50 men in room, if anyone knows anything about it please put up some links or info.;)

can you be a bit more specific about what he said to you and what he was doing, a lot of h&s people are now told that when taking toolbox talks and induction type meetings its best to keep things interesting by keeping to the important stuff only, creating class interaction and involving light hearted humour so as not to bore people .

he could just have been a good h&s man. but if you help narrow things down i will ask some friends who prob know what you mean

Behavioural safety

Kier use SUSA, Interserve have CATS and DSL have HEART. They are systems used to identify and record both positive and negative behaviours. The point being to identify, record and encourage good behavioural traits. Also to identify negative traits, that is traits that if not adjusted will eventually result in an accident to individuals.

ok for example, we were all sat there 40-50 blokes & he said " who here has young children, that attend primary school? " some one answered & he said " i bet you hold their hand & get them to (stop, look, listen ) when crossing road & walk them across road " then when you have dropped them off you will just run across road, without stopping, looking or listening "

he was correct & made people think, we are taught how to do things safely & we do to a certain extent, then we just get lazy.

another example:

if you watch a toddler pick something up from the floor they will pick it up properly ie bending knees not back, using proper manual handling techniques, its only when they get older & emulate adults that bending backs & poor postures etc comes into it.

i would like to maybe get into this as its interesting & seems to be effective, it made me think for a lot longer than watching endless dvd's & answering questionnaires, if anyone has any information about a specific course or anything then please pass it on, thanks steve;)

orac

neild hit the nail on the head---Human Behaivural Sience, is a form of Indoctrination with employes a mild form of Brain Washing Techniqies which incourages a Proactive State of Mind.

For Example: During an Induction on the wearing of Fall Suppression Equipment---the Lecturer may mention Freinds and Family as a insentive to wear the FSE---the implication being that if you sustained an injury or God forbid a Faitality---this would impact on your Friends or Family due to your ommissions or Failings. You should have had at least an introduction to this Subject whilst Studing the NEBOSH Genaral Cert.

Garry...

I did a couple hours on this while taking my General Cert.

Human Behaivural Sience,

It does what it says on the tin,it studies how we re-act or not,to certain
stimulus or instruction given to us and why we are receptive to some forms of instruction and not to others.As we all are individuals we all react in differant ways to differant stimulus

when we drive in fog our eyes will after a time focus at around 1m you can then if you do not stay alert and keep trying to focus "through" the fog very easily run up the arse of the car in front

when I was supervising I found that to keep lads happy took differant things,let some guys off on friday,pay top coin to others,praise a good job,thank them for working through a dinner break,throw a good bolocking into into others

it is a very complicated science the deeper you get into it,thats my two-pen,orth getting a headache just thinking about it

Top Bottom