GRP plastic boards (1 Viewer)

stiller

Reaction score
hi scaffs , just wondering how many of you have used the plastic boards on any of your jobs ? , what type of jobs you used them on and most importantly what you and your gaffers think of them ?

Hi there, i have used the plastic boards before, not very practical in some scaffolding operations as these cannot be notched and are a bit more expensive than normal scaffold boards.

They are ideal for such things as asbestos works etc.

notch scaffold boards eh (cowboy)

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

hi stiller we use them at the power station they can become very heavy
with water being trapped inside the voids as the plastic ends have no water outlet also they tend to move about alot more than wooden on galvy tube

I agree with weebroxi's finding---furthermore, due to their inorganic make-up they are too brittle and tend to crack when rough handling, the wooden boards are more malible, give me natural organic boards any day, at least you can cut them and put hooping irons on then if the get damaged and CUT KNOCHES :eek:

im not an admirer of them either but i say horses for courses , there biggest advantage is that they are washable, dont dry out allowing built up dust to fall all over the place so are great for:
asbestos jobs
food industry jobs
internal refurb type jobs where cleanliness is needed
also use around very dirty, horrible, contamination substances, eg oil or chemical, coal products, that type cos it washes off

also we used to do maintainence work at a microchip factory , very warm and very very very clean we had to individually wrap boards in plastic and staple it down in certain areas of factory these boards would have been good for that too

grp

thanks for the replys lads . i agree with you weebroxi about them being heavy when water is trapped inside , but what really gets my goat is that every time i have to cut one it costs me £3 for two rubber bungs :( .
I use them on a maintenence contract at a creamery and the good thing about them is that when they inevitably get covered in thick gooey cheese whey , we can wash it off and they are like new again.

Knotching !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no no no.

plastic boards

no good on bricklayers jobs the mortar bonds to the plastic.also never use one of these overspan heard of one snapping when a scaff walked over one on a 1.9m. span

i have used the master plank boards a few times ones for a large gantry in a city centre

When you say the master plank boards do you mean the timber boards with a plyboard type make up? if so what do you make of these?

Scaff2010

We had a batch of them, but then didn't have any more. I think they were a bit costly. Also we use telescopic transoms for inside boards and they have a short upstand on the end to stop the boards moving, when fully extended the 3 boards fit tight, with the master plank boards in warm weather there was a bit more swelling of the timber than standard boards and this resulted in them kicking up.

We used to have around 50 of these plastic boards for shutdown jobs in certain clean areas at Fujitsu,easy for the yard lads to keep clean,but felt a bit weird when carrying a couple,and they sounded like they were clapping in yer lughole..

20 quid a piece to suseptable for damage me thinks , havent tried the masterplank whats the cost of them

george roberts have the sole distribution for these plastic boards....

My personal opinion is that until recently they were not cost effective because timber boards were good value for money. This time last year, we were selling 13's for around £6.80 - now due to lack of timber at source, boards are averaging £8.00....

yeh their crap for every day jobs but excellent for others ,great for long term jobs as they dont rot ,easily cleaned for asbestos jobs and where dust is a problem ,and have u seen how easy a resip goes through one .and the bands can be re used

Hi i have used plastic boards on asbestos jobs and in factories. You have to be careful of then they can slide on the transums easily you need to clip them down even if just using them yourself to erect a scaffold

thanks for the replys lads . i agree with you weebroxi about them being heavy when water is trapped inside , but what really gets my goat is that every time i have to cut one it costs me £3 for two rubber bungs :( .
I use them on a maintenence contract at a creamery and the good thing about them is that when they inevitably get covered in thick gooey cheese whey , we can wash it off and they are like new again.

Knotching !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no no no.
We use them all the time, instead of notching or cutting plastic boards ask the client if you can sleeve wooden boards and gaffer tape the ends up. Plastic boards also hold the water inside them and if its really cold can cause the board to split. They slide all over the place so we clip all of ours with plastic board clips (wooden board clips don't work).
The big dissadvantage is the cost and the supplier, he has the market sewn up and dictates the cost, he also owns the plant that make them if I'm not mistaken.

We have bought 100's of them over the last year from G Roberts. Yes they are expensive and you also have to buy the specific board clips for the boards. But it's made the scaffolders think before erecting the scaffold as they know they cannot notch or cut them down to any old size. Got to be a good thing?!

Top Bottom