Cape apply for Labour agreement to employ 1053 Scaffolders in Western Australia (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I read in the Sunday Times (Perth, WA) that Cape Australia have requested approval from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to bring in 1053 Scaffolders to Australia - WA's North-West Shelf and South-West of South Australia. An agreement outside of the Enterprise Migration Agreements which would be the largest foreign labour deal to be approved if it gets approval.
This could be an easy route into Australia for scaffolders especially in light of the fact that Scaffolding is not on the required skills register !
Give those Cape guys in UK a call.
Best of Luck

Laois,

Cape posted a 44% reduction in their share value, quite recently, which Cape PLC blamed on the downturn in Australia??

they also laid off 42 middle management the week the new CEO arrived to balance the books.

on top of that there is the notorious Ferrari from a car dealership in Wangarra where they hire a 1,000 or so vehicles from at well above the going rates.

+ Algeria etc,

C can
A anyone
P please
E explain

good that they are helping lads in, just looks pretty shaky.

Flannel

So you heard about the Ferrari as well Flannel??
Cape Australia along with other companies such as AGC and Kaefer applied to the DIAC for a special agreement to bring in cryogenic insulators on special 457 visas to complete the insulation rectification works on Pluto LNG. This was eventually allowed by the DIAC, the laggers came, lagged and went home.Bear in mind the laggers were put down as sheet metal workers a trade considered skilled.
Due to the large numbers of scaffolders out of work on the east coast they would have to show that these scaffolders are really needed. Cape indeed blame profit loss on the Australian operations due to them winning no major contracts since Pluto ended.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

By the way welcome to the forum!! Good first post!!

Surely they wil use cheap Middle East labour?

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Welcome Flannel

Cape are training people from cheap labour countrys and giving them CITB cert without the proper training nor teaching that is what they will try and send

Cape are training people from cheap labour countrys and giving them CITB cert without the proper training nor teaching that is what they will try and send

Do they use their own trainers or do they use Training Schools that are also based in the UK?

I believe they have there own training school in the philippines. More cheap labour.:mad:

they cant get away with cheap labour in Oz, well mostly they cant!

Do you think UK scaffolders would be in with a chance Flannel?

They may well get away with bringing cheap labour in. They actually paid the laggers a lesser rate than other companies which fair play to the British lads they kicked off and refused to put tin on.
They may well use Filipinos trained in Manila if they get the go ahead from DIAC. I am sure the unions will kick off big style if they do.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Secret plea for 2000 foreign tradies | thetelegraph.com.au

I no a company Doing training out there and the instructor is no an instructor nor a registered company with the NASC.

Jakdan you should no we did the same course

if Cape get the immigration dept onside, they will take a load of U.K. scaffolders, I think you might find quite a few will be from Scotland.

the man in charge down here has a place for them in his hart

if Cape get the immigration dept onside, they will take a load of U.K. scaffolders, I think you might find quite a few will be from Scotland.

the man in charge down here has a place for them in his hart

Good play on words Celtic. But I think there is only a place in his hart for profit and his bonus. There is no place in his hart for the working man. For sure if they get the visas they will bring in cheap labour from Asia and tell them to tell all the others they are getting the agreed rates. Then they can undercut on tenders knowing full well they will still make the same profit margin as they are paying less wages.
Be warned if they get away with it in Australia where will be next??

Good play on words Celtic. But I think there is only a place in his hart for profit and his bonus. There is no place in his hart for the working man. For sure if they get the visas they will bring in cheap labour from Asia and tell them to tell all the others they are getting the agreed rates. Then they can undercut on tenders knowing full well they will still make the same profit margin as they are paying less wages.
Be warned if they get away with it in Australia where will be next??

Its already happening here HSWT thats why the agencies are exploting the fact that they know people will do it for less.

Last edited:
Its been happening ion britain for decades,everyone fell for the im self employed trick.then no young guys got any proper training,then the bigger companies started using agencies to compete with the small firms,and then the agencies started the umberella companie shiite.
End result scaffolders with no rights,holiday pay,and no training
the tax man gets conned and the country on a hole looses out

They may well get away with bringing cheap labour in. They actually paid the laggers a lesser rate than other companies which fair play to the British lads they kicked off and refused to put tin on.
They may well use Filipinos trained in Manila if they get the go ahead from DIAC. I am sure the unions will kick off big style if they do.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Secret plea for 2000 foreign tradies | thetelegraph.com.au

No matter where the labour comes frrom HSWT, those who work on a construction project will still work under the same EBA!! that is what the Unions argue for. If so called cheap labour is brought in from ovrseas i.e sth east asia or where ever, those will still be be paqid the same.
Give a positive note to those wishing to migrate to WA and the power of positive thinking so decent scaffs from the UK could Migrate here!! You know and I know the place could do with em!!

Top Bottom