Pull - Test Training (1 Viewer)

Tony_Mullen

Reaction score
I've been asked to provide evidence that a scaffolder has been trained how to use a pull-tester.

To this end I asked if it was covered in the CISRS training at Part II or Advanced and it apparently isn't.

Although it is an important element of scaffolding, operating a pull tester isn't exactly brain surgery its akin to inflating a tyre, which imo can be carried out by a child.

This world of heightened H&S awareness does have it's drawbacks.

tony why dont you just organise a toolbox type course of your own get everyone in the office for an hour or whatever and use that as evidence, im not sure if ive ever heard of any pull tester courses

Tony

I agree with superscaff75 on this one, these things are not rocket science. A simple toolbox talk together with a simple practical demonstration should be more than adequate.

I've been asked to provide evidence that a scaffolder has been trained how to use a pull-tester.

To this end I asked if it was covered in the CISRS training at Part II or Advanced and it apparently isn't.

Although it is an important element of scaffolding, operating a pull tester isn't exactly brain surgery its akin to inflating a tyre, which imo can be carried out by a child.

This world of heightened H&S awareness does have it's drawbacks.
hi tony pretty sure done a bit of this hilti push pull thing a number of years ago
at hillington on the advanced course think it was old forbes ferguson that took the time to show us

Toney

I agree with superscaff75---The Pull Tester Manufacturers should supply an Operations Manual together with a Safe System of Work and Method Statement, would this not be sufficiant for Training Purposes ???.---Hilti provide a SSoW and Method Statement for thier Anchors on their Web Site and this Provision proves proficiancy for their installation...

Garry...

ive done loads of pull tests with hilt theres no test but if useing hilt anchor bolts you can get them to do test for you and they will give you test certificate......jerry

One of our lads has just come back from doing his advanced course at Scaffold and Access, on his pass certificate it states he did pull test training. I recently completed the cisrs supervisors course where we also did pull testing. If your a competent person i.e. trained, have qualifications and experience there's no reason why you cant train your guy's yourself, like you say its common sense

One of our lads has just come back from doing his advanced course at Scaffold and Access, on his pass certificate it states he did pull test training. I recently completed the cisrs supervisors course where we also did pull testing. If your a competent person i.e. trained, have qualifications and experience there's no reason why you cant train your guy's yourself, like you say its common sense

hi mate

what was the cisrs supervisors course like

I did the pull test course with Hilti at their depot in Portsmouth back in 2003.

It is quite informative for those people who dont know how to correctly install anchors and believe me Ive seen some right horror stories.

The course covered installation and testing using the Mk5 pull tester.
I dont think Hilti do the course in house anymore, but why not give them a call and see.

Also, with this certificate, you can offer your services as a tie tester and charge a bag o money for the pleasure.

The course was ok, it cost £750 for 5 days, on the 1st day you go home wondering why you ever bothered getting into scaffolding management as it seems you are wholly responsible for what your guys do on site on a day to day basis. You learn about the law, your responsibilities, h & s how to do basic estimating .We learned that the guy taking the course had scaffolded every building in nottingham, stoke, birmingham, london at least twice ,on his own ! as no one else was good enough ! before tea break ! but on the whole it was very good and its a good accreditation although nobody's heard of it.

Pull-Test

Thanks All,

I've had confirmation from the trainers that TG4 is now covered in a Part II course thus demonstrating competency.

Panic over.

We bought apollo tie systems, when purchased myself and a few of the lads were given a demonstration on how to use it, then received a certificate which thus far has been acceptable!

Hydrajaws,the manufacturer of Pull Testers offer training in the safe use of the machine as applied to Scaffold anchors and will issue a certificate to each person attending.Cost is £45 per person.NASC TG4 04 mentions specifically installation and testing of anchors and TG20 08 also refers to testing.
If training is required for the installation of anchors a course is available from Indepentant Fixing Consultants Tel 01664 823687

Last edited:
thats excellent value tester when you think what these companys charge to come on sight and test.

Contact Hydrajaws.They offer a short training course on the operation and safe use of the Tester and will give you a certificate.You can get your Tester calibrated at the same time.
Training is £45 per person
Calibration of Tester £38 01675 430370

Top Bottom