Scaffolding above a river. (1 Viewer)

mart62

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a job to scaffold a building for painting and replacing windows. I now have to somehow come off the scaffold down one side which is a narrow 3 board wide scaffold and drop down to access the ballustades on a public right of way above my local river.

Have in the past gone down into the river bed with buts on the end of standards (probs bit old school now)

Not even sure what a designer would come up with.

Any ideas folks.

Martin

p.s A lot of people use this walkway to access shops and to get around the back into the park.

Not sure I fully get the picture yet Martin. How are the balustrades fitted, is there a bridge there and why don't you just go into the river again?

I really need to see something to get the full picture.

You will need to consider a couple of things before basing out in the river.
Including but not limited to the following:
1)the base
2) the flow of the river
3) the depth
4)wields disease
5) flotsam & Jetsam
6) Insurance

The base needs to be solid and not shifting in the flow like beach sand. The depth will be a limiting factor on getting a lift and adequate bracing low enough to be effective. Weilds disease always present in waterways. What is generally called flotsam & Jetsam is the buildup of water bourn debris against the scaffold thus creating a dam and increased horizontal pressure against the scaffold.
Most scaffold company insurance policies I have encountered do no cover you for working above water unless specifically called for.
Not to mention Can You Swim??

Thanks for the replies guys. This is a bit of a headached but will go and have another look today.

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

Just thought there isnt even a bank to get down so I would need to use a boat to get down there.

Hi folks. I have a job to scaffold a building for painting and replacing windows. I now have to somehow come off the scaffold down one side which is a narrow 3 board wide scaffold and drop down to access the ballustades on a public right of way above my local river.

Have in the past gone down into the river bed with buts on the end of standards (probs bit old school now)

Not even sure what a designer would come up with.

Any ideas folks.

Martin

p.s A lot of people use this walkway to access shops and to get around the back into the park.

as aom says mart see if you can get a picture every ones built it in there minds but wont committe untill they can see it but think!!! if you go down the desigh route tons of gear and loads of money nothing wrong with the olde school martin you know when a jobs secure or not mate

I have built a few from river beds in the past and my biggest concern was as Alan says the debris coming from higher up in spate. You obviously want the squares small enough to make the job as strong as possible and to spread the weight but that in turn means any and all debris will collect on your job putting added non calculable pressure on it. Some times the smaller ones are the trickiest, but wouldn't mind seeing a picture of what you are doing exactly.

I have pictures now just no usb cable until my girls get home.

how wide is the river? maybe putting 2 beams across the span and putting in box trusses (not sure if thats right) and punching up from there? using those flatplate butt ties. the ones with sheer and pull?

Down a few in the Thames ( when the tide was out ) and a few canals , in the canals we just used 600 square base plates tack welded to a 13 foot tube and just rove them done in the silt till they settled .

Thanks for the replies guys. This is a bit of a headached but will go and have another look today.

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

Just thought there isnt even a bank to get down so I would need to use a boat to get down there.

aom got a jetty if that would help aom how much is the jetty for hire

The hire wouldn't be the problem it would be the travel expenses as it would take me a while on the ski to get it down there. I wonder if Benny would do it on a homer?

haha, reminds me of the risk assessment for cockle picking, don't leave the work site till the water get's to knee high, unfortunately knee high was back in the van having his dinner.:laugh:

AN OLD SCAF FTOLD ME HE WAS TO SCAFFOLD THE FINNIESTON CRANE(NEXT TO SECC)IN GLASGOW IN THE 60s WHEN HE TOLD THE SUPERVISOR HE NEEDED A RESCUE BOAT BECAUSE HE COULDNT SWIM.THE SUPERVISOR REMINDED HIM THAT HE WAS ON THE GORBALS HIGH FLATS LAST WEEK AND HE CANNAE FLY.
AHH THOSE WERE THE DAYS REAL SCAFFS REAL LAUGHS ;)

haha, I will remember and use that one Happy.:laugh:

nowadays that would be against someones human rights and a compensation case would quickly follow.as you say happyhugenoet real scaffs real laughs:cry:

Top Bottom