Shorts, PPE and a good debate (1 Viewer)

Flinty

Reaction score
If a company, scaffolding or building, insists that its workers must wear work trousers rather than shorts and quotes 'elf and safety, does that make work trousers PPE? And in which case does that also mean the company must provide its workers with work trousers at company expense.

Debate. I'm listening.

dirty overalls like look miles better with companie hvi work pants and t shirts and jumper and if the boys get hot can allways take of the jumper crnt in overalls lol is it not in elf and saftey that you must wear trousers any how lol , i allways try to wear 3/4 most of the time get awya with it and i just pull me socks up if questioned about them but raley do, overalls are the devil work

good point,anyone got the legal text on employers providing ppe

It comes under body protection. If trousers are insisted upon to protect your legs, they are PPE. They cannot make you wear work trousers for fashion reasons :nuts:

Would like to point out at this point the HSE have not banned shorts, this is a company and insurance thing. A quote from the HSE website:

"If the site has a policy on clothing that does not allow shorts then you are expected to follow this rule.

Clothing needs to protect against hazards on site. The main reason for protecting the lower legs is to help guard against cuts, grazes and splinters etc in an environment where any skin damage can lead to infection. Some trades need to keep skin covered for other reasons - eg arc welders are exposed to high levels of ultra violet light that will cause skin damage."

so the hse have not banned shorts,but companies insist on trousers for their own insurance reasons,is that the loophole that makes them not have to provide them by law like other ppe ?,and if they were forced to provide them it would make the insurance premiums seem more attractive thus letting us wear shorts,,,,think ive got it :D

so the hse have not banned shorts,but companies insist on trousers for their own insurance reasons,is that the loophole that makes them not have to provide them by law like other ppe ?,and if they were forced to provide them it would make the insurance premiums seem more attractive thus letting us wear shorts,,,,think ive got it :D

Not quite.

The law is you must provide suitable PPE for the task. Whatever that may be. Hard hats, gloves etc, are typical ones and obviously in our industry harness come into it. If, a company views that its workers require leg protection then surely that makes that also, PPE.

Regulation 4 states:
Every employer shall ensure that suitable personal protective equipment is provided to his employees who may be exposed to a risk to their health or safety while at work except where and to the extent that such risk has been adequately controlled by other means which are equally or more effective.

The accompanying guidance states:
Employers should, therefore, provide appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and training in its usage to their employees wherever there is a risk to health and safety that cannot be adequately controlled by other means.

In order to provide PPE for their employees, employers must do more than simply have the equipment on the premises. The employees must have the equipment readily available, or at the very least have clear instructions on where they can obtain it.

By virtue of Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is used only at work. Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 states: "No employer shall levy or permit to be levied on any employee of his any charge in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specific requirement of the relevant statutory provisions". Section 9 applies to these Regulations because they impose a 'specific requirement' - i.e. to provide PPE.

Remember, and nobody seems to understand this, PPE is considered a LAST RESORT. Much like collective fall prevention of personal fall protection. PPE must only be worn where the workers cannot be protected in some other way as PPE can be a hindrance to the worker.

I was told by a site agent (don't no if it's true coz ther always full of bull) that if it's in a company's method statement that the lads can wear shorts then it's ok. Tryed to get our boss to do it but he had non of it. What I want to no is if you have to have your legs covered to protect when cutting and from skin cancer ect the why are we allowed to wear tshirts and not long sleeves ?

Top Bottom