Bird cage scaffolds , foot tie question

simmo

Reaction score
do you have to put a foot tie (kicker lift)(blocking lift ) so many names for the same thing
any way do you have too tie all the legs togeather
if the bird cage is in a small room ie 13 x 8 x 5ft high and is double butted off all the walls

depends what it is to be used for

Light loading ie men only,painting,change light fittings
say ok as described

medium/heavy loading, stacking of materials plus men
kicker lift shoud be fitted

what bracing have you erected ?

its my mates job . brick work , internal room bracing sways either side and double butted transoms into either wall

as above mate allways tie it kicker lift double double no matter if u only puttin a bag of sugar on it pal:eek:

do you have to put a foot tie (kicker lift)(blocking lift ) so many names for the same thing
any way do you have too tie all the legs togeather
if the bird cage is in a small room ie 13 x 8 x 5ft high and is double butted off all the walls

its my mates job . brick work , internal room bracing sways either side and double butted transoms into either wall

Hi simmo

I think i'm right in saying that the regs state that single lift birdcages require a foot tie, whereas multiple lift birdcages do not. I am the same as the other lads though, throw a foot tie in double on double on all birdcages.

I also take it that this is new build you're working on, so even though walls are double butted they are still probably pretty green, so I would say a foot tie and braces in all planes is your best bet.

If the foot~tie is done correctly ledger and sway bracing will mean there is no need to butt the walls,then work like painting or plastering can be done without having to touch up where the scaffold was butting,also eliminates the need for people to move the butt tubes...

towersbirdcage.gif

Foot tie shown, on a std 2 lift birdcage.

Foot tie with single lift birdcage

Hiya simmo, just to add to current replies. One reason for insisting on foot tie for single lift birdcage is because centre standards would be fixed by one double only which would allow rotation. S.W.L. against rotation is so small as to be negligible. hope this helps.

Top Bottom