What Do You All Think Of This New Tool? (1 Viewer)

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
What Do You All Think Of This New Tool?

Scaff-adapt is a 1.5m long hand tool for scaffolders which comprises 3No aluminium Rectangular Hollow Sections (RHS) of varying lengths with 2No solid aluminium blocks for joining together and a mild steel screw in handle for operation (total of 4 components - weight just 4kg). There are plastic plugs in each end of the assembled tool and a PVC spiral grip on the handle for comfort. All components fit neatly into a 1m long slim bag with carry strap.

Scaff-adapt aids scaffolders in the adaptation of scaffolding structures by releasing and/or making component parts more accessible and easy to move i.e. fittings and tubes that are trapped beneath boarded platforms. This is particularly useful where scaffolds require adapting to allow an outer skin of brick or blockwork to be built following construction of an inner skin, as in Timber Frame buildings, or to allow a wall face to be plastered, where the transom tubes can withdrawn easily from the wall face creating sufficient room for the tradesman to work. There are also a number of other useful applications for Scaff-adapt with regard to general alterations/additions to existing scaffolds. This tool has been designed to be positioned (i.e. laid flat) on top of ledger tubes and then by rotating into its upright position, to take the weight of the decking boards above. This creates a gap sufficient in size (12-14mm) between the decking boards and the top of the fittings and transom tubes, to enable the scaffolding fittings and tubes to be undone/released/removed far more easily and without the friction problem created by the weight of the decking boards bearing onto the transom tubes.

Video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1APxH3oNvQ"]YouTube- Scaff-adapt Demonstration[/ame]

Last edited:
Just the tool for the job, especialy if there is materials on the lift, the application of the tool is quick and easy---a few brownie points from the H&S Dept.

I can think of loads of times when that would of come in handy you get a bit sick banging away with a 5 foot

ADMIN,
We used to use a 3'6" butt with a couple of bits of rebar and rebar handles welded on, done exactly the same job. I must say this looks very good though.

we;ve used a peice of 3x2 and rebate bar before now, good idea for when the lift is unloaded but not so easy when loaded with bricks and mortar.

Been using these on our company for ages. Good peice of kit, very handy for adapting boarded lifts.
Really expensive if I remember correctly though.
Must remember not to try to lift the boards when loaded with bricks/blocks, like one our numptys did and snapped off the handle, fixed it luckily by extracting the thread and using a hilti ring for the handle......sorted!

Dave.

I like the look of this. I'm surpprised I've never come across it earlier, that's what happens when you live in the country. Wouldn't be difficult to make something up but I feel £100 is not asking a lot, everyone deserves to make a pound. I think a couple will be coming my way soon.

scootay 45

aye, be okay for Offshore alterations---nae yees for higers though :eek:

what Installation are you working on at the moment ???

Looks good, but not as quick as hitting the trany in with a 5 foot lol

mmmmmmmmmmmm need to undo the clipped toe boards above first then re-clip them afterwards?????????????

Hey Garry m8 thanks for the number for RBG,,,,, tried ringing about 73 times today and guess wot.........wait for it...............wait for it....................no one was answering lol

we now have hop up brackets, telescopic transoms etc etc although the tool has its uses i think better scaffold design from the beginning is better, also better design helps with working at height regs , adaptions should be kept to a minimum although as i bet most of you are aware jobs never seem to be exactly what it said on the tin

Fit a clip to the 5ft you wish to pull out then pull it out with another 5ft as a lever. You have only got to lift or turn the inside board. Onne its moved 3 " use the 5ft on the end of the other 5ft!! Works with a bit of batten as well.:amazed:

Ragscaff

Welshboy
before you can get to single on toe board you may have to remove the brick guards if fitted,and move stacks of bricks or other materiel from the lift to remove the brickguard,once the toe board is unclipped you are creating a hazard of objects falling from scaffold
when I was ever asked to modify or alter a scaffold I always insist that any materiel be removed prior to work starting on the scaffold.It is us who would be held responsible for any thing falling from a lift being altered

Scaffers , nice ideology mate but have you ever met a brick layer that's prepared to do a scaffolding adaption and let you book it in ? the ones I know wouldn't flush the site toilet without asking for daywork ! anyway scaffolding adaptions are for scaffolders i.e. compitent persons who are trained, qualified and experienced not bricklayers . Sorry if I sound a bit harsh mate but we have 30 trowels working for us so I know what ther're like mate.

Welshboy
before you can get to single on toe board you may have to remove the brick guards if fitted,and move stacks of bricks or other materiel from the lift to remove the brickguard,once the toe board is unclipped you are creating a hazard of objects falling from scaffold
when I was ever asked to modify or alter a scaffold I always insist that any materiel be removed prior to work starting on the scaffold.It is us who would be held responsible for any thing falling from a lift being altered

Ditto that ^^

Scaffolds that are being altered should never be in use or loaded.
The board lifters are great, not many people have the resources to do whole sites with telescopic transoms, so the adapters are a nice cheap alternative.
Just dont try to lift packs of bricks with them as the handle will snap off like one of our numpties did.

Dave.

Top Bottom